C H A P T E R T W E N T Y F O U R *

Start from the beginning

"She's your sister mama. Your blood. But you stuck with daddy. Even though he had almost killed her husband over a game of dice. You guys were in a bad space for so long didn't speak for years. How did you make that decision so lightly?"

"It wasn't as easy as you think." She sighed. "it hurted more than you can imagine to go against your aunt but what hurted more at the time was her trying to punish your father for something two people were responsible for." She admitted while looking at me with confusion still on her face. "I wasn't willing to send the man I loved to jail for something he couldn't control."

"And looking back after all those years you and auntie didn't speak and with daddy leaving, do you ever regret choosing him?" I pondered as we drove into small traffic.

"I didn't regret it then and I don't regret it now." She stated proudly. "Your father made his decision to go a long time ago but he was still my husband, the father of my children and the love of my life. Yes it cost me a price at that moment but I still stand by what I did because he did what he had to do." I simply nodded in agreement taking in the information.

We had finally reached the house after some time in the messy streets. The car was silent as ever while I put the car in park. It wasn't until I attempted to remove the key from the ignition that she stopped me, resting her hand onto mine.

"Did Angela do something that needs defending? Is that why you bought all of this up?" I debated on dismissing her question but knew she'd continue to pry if I didn't at least give her something. "You love this woman don't you?"

Without hesitation I nodded. "She's amazing ma. I don't know how I went on so long without knowing someone like her." I confessed like a love struck teenager. This all was coming on too fast. When we had cross paths I never expected to end up in this deep with a woman. I was supposed to be focusing on my work and my kid. It just sorta fell in my lap you know.

"Then whatever it is holding you guys back you'll get through it." She smiled wide. "You can't help who you love son. You're not supposed to. Everyone has a past and everyone has faults. As long as you aren't losing yourself in something toxic or paying a price for their faults then everything else will get by. "If you care for this woman the way you say you do then don't let another minute go by without telling her."

Angel

"So you ain't even going to call the man?" Chelsea asked in disbelief. "You can't be serious right now?"

"Oh but I am." I shrugged while folding a few shirts and a light sweater and placing them in the small suitcase.

"But he bailed you out!" She pointed out. "Obviously that means something!" She tried to convince as I threw in a pair of jeans some shorts and two sun dresses.

"I'm well aware and thankful for that but no it doesn't."

"So you're just gonna leave? What about your court appearance?" She asked with her arms folded across her chest and weight shifted onto her left side. "You know what'll happen if you jump bail."

"Yes I know I'm not an idiot." Snapped rolling my eyes at how dramatic she was being. "I'll only be gone for a few days." I reminded her while zipping up the suitcase. "Its just a little get away for me and Darren. I want him to enjoy what little time he may have left with me before this trial starts Chels. It's not like I can leave the state anyway."

"Ma! Would you say something to her?" She complained.

"Chile if you don't shut up with all that dang whining." Lauren threatened coming into the room. "You're sister is a grown ass woman." She turned to me, grabbing ahold of both hands. "You take all the time you need baby. We'll be here when you get back." She encouraged with a loving smile and kissing both sides of my cheek.