C H A P T E R T W E N T Y O N E *

Angel

"The people vs. Angela Herkins. One count of murder in the second degree and two counts of conspiracy to robbery."

"How does the defendant plead?" The judge asked pushing his reading glasses up his nose.

"Not guilty your honor." My lawyer stated for me. We all knew that wasn't the truth though. I'm pretty sure everyone in this court room knew I did it.

"The people would like to request that the suspect be remanded your honor." The prosecutor demanded with no remorse. 

"Your honor that's excessive!" My legal aid argued. "My client is a single mother and the primary care giver to her son after the death of his father. We request bail."

"The people would like to point out that your client has relatives to temporarily care for the boy. Let's not forget she was in the process of fleeing when the detective showed up to her apartment. She's a flight risk."

"Your honor!"

"I've heard enough. Bail is set to one hundred thousand dollars. Trial date set for ninety days from now. Next case." He called out hitting the gavel upon the podium.

"Three months?" I choked out. "I'm going to be in jail for three months? I don't have all that bail money." I panicked. God what did I get myself into ?

"Calm down Angela. All we have to do is get half for a bail bondsmem. Do you or your family members have collateral?"

"No. Nothing." I said as the court officer prepared to take me away. Just as we prepared to leave the room I felt someone watching me. I knew it was him before I even looked up. We locked eyes for a second and I could feel him burning a hole through my soul. He hates me.

"I'm sorry." I mouthed causing him to look away. I knew now that no amount of I'm sorries could fix this but it was all I had left in me.

*

*

Stepping off the correctional bus, I let out a depressing sigh when we had finally arrived to Rikers Island. "Say hello to your new home beautiful." The officer said sarcastically making me roll my eyes in response.

Beside myself there was a total of four other women who was brought here this afternoon. I wasn't sure what they had done to end up here but they all didn't seem to have a care in the world. They all seemed unremorseful. That was me eight months ago. Back then killing King didn't mean a damn thing to me. Like I said it was me or him. But that was before everything crumbled right before my eyes. Seniors death. Finding out he was Anthony's little brother and finally confessing to him. For the first time I used my heart and followed my conscious and it sent me right here.

One by one in a line we were guided into the jail. Each of us were directed to stand against the wall and were searched and processed.  Of course the guards were pretty rough but there wasn't much any of us could do about it. Next we were escorted along the halls of the jail and were able to see some of our fellow inmates. Some were completing chores while others seemed to be enjoying a little free time if that's what it was called here.

"Check out the fresh meat!" One female called out while tossing dirty clothes into a washer. She immediately went quiet after one of the guards ordered her to get back to work.

We arrived to where the showers were held and were told to come out of our clothes and to place them into the plastic bag on the old metal table. I was never one to be ashamed of my body up until now. Everything in this place screamed filthy and it seemed like all eyes were on me. From the inmates who were already present to the ones I showed up with. Hell I even felt like the guards eyes were glued to me.

"You've got five minutes! Use them wisely!" One female guard yelled with authority. I didn't find it necessary for her to be so goddamn loud. This place was only but so big and we were all adults. "What are you waiting for?" She snapped at me making me twist my face up.

"Don't we get towels or something. Soap?" I asked while covering my breast as much as possible.

"Excuse me?" She asked not waiting for my response. "You get what you get when I give it to you. Now go on before u lose your shower privalages." She spat before shoving me out the way.

"No this bitch didn't." I mumbled as I stepped into the small shower space. It was such a tiny area and the door stopped right in the middle of my back leaving the upper half of my body completely exposed. Sucking my teeth I grabbed the tiny ass soap bar and pressed the button causing the cold water to shoot out from the wall.

"Word of advise." A tiny voice spoke causing me to jump a bit. "Don't mouth off to the guards." She advised  with a faint smile. "They take their power seriously and will make your time here a living hell." She continued while letting the water run through her hair. 

Rubbing the soap bar along myself I caught a glimpse of her smooth looking caramel skin. She had quite a few battle scars on her back and arms. There was even a scratch on her face that appeared to be healing.

"They did that to you!?" I shrieked as low as possible standing under the freezing water. 

"Something like that." She shrugged apathetically before stepping out and wrapping her self in the dingy white towel. "Take care."

What the hell did I get myself into? I wondered as I continued to rinse off. The water then came to a sudden stop just as I began to relax. This is going to be a long three months. Clingling onto my towel I tried to contain my shivering as I waited for my next instructions.

"Put these on." The same guard ordered tossing me a t shirt and baggy disposable underwear. After slipping them on she threw two pairs of jumpsuits at me being sure to hit me in the face in the process. Putting on the grey one I took the black slippers off the metal table while keeping quiet when what I really wanted to do was smack the smirk off her face.

Shortly after dressing I was escorted to the cells with the four other women. On the way there it was plenty of shouting, rants, and inappropriate comments. One manly looking woman even demanded I meet her at her cell tonight. What the fuck was wrong with the broads? They seem worst then the dudes.

"Herkins." The male guard called out as we stopped at the first cell. He didn't even look up from the clip board to acknowledge me, he simply motioned for me to head in. "Dinners in two hours." He stated before slamming the gated door shut.

"Hey you made it out the showers alive." Turning around I discovered it was the girl who warned me laid up on the top bunk.

"Yeah I guess." I shrugged leaning against the wall.

"I'm Stacey.  What's ya name?" She asked sitting up and tossing her legs over the edge.

"Angel." I answered still staring out at the other cells.

"You don't care if I ask what you did do you?" She questioned cautiously.

"It doesn't matter." I sighed sitting on the bottom bunk placing my face into my hands. "I ain't going no where no time soon that's for sure." Not waiting for a response I laid back and decided to wait for these long two hours to drag by till dinner.  "God what did I do?" I asked as the tears poured down my cheeks for the millionth time today. I couldnt spend the rest of my life in here. What about Darren? What is my baby gonna do without his mother? Right then and there I did something I hadn't done in years. I prayed.

_____________________

Poor Angel! Questions? Thoughts?
Read vote comment!! Please excuse any errors.

___slimm