~Eight~

eight

There was something about Wynter that calmed him. Maybe it was her soothing presence. Or the way she held a graceful, innocent air about her. Or perhaps it was the way she smelled like freshly fallen snow in a pine forest.

Her delicate beauty. Her sinful curves. Her white blonde hair that caught the sunlight. Her penetrating glacial eyes that could see right into your soul.

"You've been staring at me for nearly half an hour, Elijah."

The Noble Original ducked his head, his cheeks pink, "Forgive me, Miss Wynter. Please, excuse me when I say you are a sight to behold."

"Don't apologise. I'm used to being stared at by men." The white blonde said, her dreamy voice had an underlying fearful tone in it. And it made Elijah see red.

"Have you been..?" The Mikaelson trailed off, unsure if he could finish that sentence without going ballistic. Who dared harm this beautiful girl of purity and innocence?! The streak of raw and righteous fury he felt whenever his siblings were in danger, flared.

Heads will roll.

Wynter smiled faintly at him, touched that he'd act in this manner, "No. Kat always scared them away."

'Good...' Elijah sighed, internally. 'Perhaps she is a good mother.'

"If my sister was still with us, I would introduce the two of you and hoped that you would rub off on her. But..."

"But?" The elemental hybrid leant forward, feeling his pain and put her hand on his. An attempt to comfort him that was working.

"My younger brother told me killed her and our other two brothers. Tossing them into the sea." Elijah murmured, rubbing his thumb over the knuckles of the small, soft hand on his.

The younger vampire shook her head, "No. I don't believe that for a second."

"You don't know my brother, Miss Wynter."

"No, I don't. But I can guess he said that when he was very upset or very angry." The white-blonde said with an eyebrow raised in question.

The Arctic Fox beside Wynter looked between the two of them, and despite not really liking the man, it knew its pet vampire was trying to console him. So it jumped down from one couch, and onto the other, before crawling over and curling up in his lap.

The elemental hybrid smiled slightly at its actions while Elijah just eyed the animal warily. It was a little to close to his... him.

He looked back up at Wynter with a slight frown however, "Yes."

She nodded, "Everyone, no matter their race, human, vampire, werewolf, elemental, hybrid, say terrible things when they are upset, angry or just hurting."

Suddenly looking ashamed, she took her hand from Elijah's and put them both in her lap, staring at them, "I was very upset one night, so I lashed out at Kat. I blamed her for the destruction of my village, the deaths of my people and that she had killed my mother. I told the woman who had raised me from a babe, that I hated her with every fibre of my body and that I wished she had left me to freeze under my real mother's corpse."

Wynter raised her face to gaze back at Elijah, who was shocked to see the glistening tears in her eyes, threatening to fall, "Those words might have been said a century ago, but I regret them every day because they aren't true. I ran away for a week and when I came back I could not stop apologising because Kat is my mother and she saved my life. She has done everything for me and asked for nothing in return and I threw it all in her face because I was simply frustrated I could not perform a simple spell."

"So no. I don't believe your brother killed your siblings. He was upset and lashed out to the closest person because he wanted them to feel upset too. To feel his pain." Wynter smiled sadly.

And this made Elijah speculate. Klaus had always cherished his family, no matter how deep he fell into his power-hungry haze. And Aleksander would not have allowed it to happen.

His twin could talk anyone into circles to do his bidding, so the Noble Mikaelson didn't doubt that he would have talked their hybrid brother out of it.

He scoffed mentally at himself, how could he have just thought of the worst of his brother? Elijah suddenly felt so ashamed of himself as he looked to Wynter again, a soft smile on her face. He could tell she knew he was rethinking his decisions.

Instead of just diving in to plot the death of Niklaus without a second thought, perhaps they should have a talk first.

With Wynter present. She seemed to be the perfect mediator.

"Now if you would excuse me." The white blonde stood to go to the bathroom, the Arctic Fox quick to follow.

Elijah looked down at his lap where he found his expense suit covered in shedded white fur.

"Great," he grumbled.