~Four~

four

Burying her nose into the fox's silky tail, Wynter let her warm, but ice coloured eyes wander the cemetery.

Her mother was close, she could feel it.

The creature wrapped around her neck nuzzled the vampiric elemental's ear, letting out a huff of contentment.

The blonde suddenly focused on a separate, crumbling tomb, one that seemed to be coated in magic. It made her frown and tilt her head with curiosity.

The fox, watching its pet's reaction, then copied, tilting its head as well, following the gaze of the hybrid.

"I wonder..."

:3

Katerina's anxiety shot skywards as her breath quickened. The dreamy, airy voice of her daughter had graced her ears, "I wonder..."

Stefan took on a look of surprise to hear the sweet and pure tone of what sounded like a young girl. But from what the woman he used to love had said, she would have turned in her early twenties.

The vampire doppelganger gulped and shakily took a step back from the door, praying that her mind was playing tricks on her.

But the light footsteps echoing from the playground of the dead, approaching their prison, were undeniable.

The chill of the falling snow made the two shiver, which should have been impossible since they were both dead.

Then, at the entrance of the tomb, a face that Kat so dearly loved and missed, appeared with a small smile.

The Salvatore's eyes widened to see such a beautiful young woman. Her face just... lit up the whole room.

:3

Seeing her mother, Wynter smiled brilliantly, not noticing the other occupant, "Mother."

Again, the dreamy tone of her voice sang the sweetest tune to the older vampire's soul, making her both delighted and scared to see her baby, "Hello, little bird."

The youngest took a small step forward and the Petrova sped back to the entrance with her hands up, "No, baby! Stop!"

Wynter looked confused and slightly hurt, blinking a few times until light creases marring her otherwise angelic face with a small frown, "Kat?"

"You can't come in here. It's a trap, baby. You take one more step, you'll be stuck in here too." The brunette stated with her arms dropping to her side.

Stefan leaned into the dark corner of the tomb, watching the mother-daughter pair. How pure the blonde seemed to be, considering her parent.

"I'd have you..." Wynter mumbled with her bottom lip quivering, the burn of tears itching her eyes.

"Oh, baby..." Kat whispered, aching to hold her daughter, "Please don't cry, little bird. I can't stand it when you cry."

The fox around the elemental's neck flickered away the few tears that had fallen with its tail and nuzzling its face into her jaw.

"Isn't there anything I can do, Mother? I don't want to leave you here, all by yourself." The white haired vampire offered, her face hopeful.

Just hearing Wynter's voice was enough for the Petrova vampire. It soothed her soul, refreshed her spirit and steadied her heart.

Katherine nodded, "There is Wyn."

The forgotten Salvatore leant in the slightest bit, eager to hear if Kat would prove him right about using the girl.

"You'll leave Mystic Falls, baby."

The blond rose his eyebrows, incapable of believing this was the Katerina Petrova he knew. Or... didn't know, apparently.

"You will run away and never come back, you hear me." The brunette said with conviction, she trembled with fear. Not for herself. But for her daughter.

"But-"

The white blonde was cut off abruptly, "No, baby. Elijah is here and Klaus is never far behind. Please listen to me and go. Just go."

Wynter shook her head, jostling free her long, curly white hair. The animal around her neck grumbled with displeasure at being tousled about, "I can't leave you here, Kat."

Shock hit Stefan hard to see tears falling down Katherine's face.

"Winter, no," the oldest vampire mumbled hoarsely, "You're too precious to me, I can't let anything happen to the only light in my life, so please-"

The crack of twigs made them all freeze and turn towards the offending sound to see a certain suited Original.

"Elijah..." Kat whispered fearfully.