~Two~

two

Wynter breezed through the trees, enjoying the brush of the Arctic Fox's soft, thick fur against her neck. The white-haired vampire had missed her adoptive mother, having not seen her for over thirty years.

Katherine was always the sort to move on within a few months, skittish as a kitten. She had though, made sure that Wynter learned as much as she could. She knew how to read and write by the time she was six. Numbers were even easier to learn.

When she was eleven, the then mortal witch had been taught by all the witches Kat had threatened or owed her a favour. She was powerful and needed control over her ever-growing gifts.

Her mum had done her own research, not bearing the thought of losing another daughter. Apparently, her little girl's last name was Sparrow, meaning she belonged to a long line of elemental witches and warlocks, each man and woman of her bloodline had a gift revolving around a single element.

Which meant Wynter's was ice and snow.

She was the last of her family and Katherine wouldn't leave her with any coven of witches, even though they had offered to take her, but the Petrova refused to part with her daughter.

The information Kat had sourced, had her relieved.

Wynter could become a vampire and keep her gift.

Now Katherine had no intention of using her adopted daughter at all. She just didn't want to take the white-haired witch's gift away, just to keep her daughter by her side forever. In a very unlike herself moment, Katherine hadn't wanted to be selfish. Wynter was her baby girl. She couldn't hurt her.

Wynter and her mother agreed that on her 23rd birthday, she'd join her in eternity.

Kat had taught her how to hunt, compel and hide. She didn't want to see her daughter fall victim to her blood lust and become a ripper.

Knowing Wynter preferred colder areas, the Petrova vampire always made sure they stayed close to places that snowed for the better part of the year. They still moved around a lot, but that was besides the point.

She made sure to keep her daughter as innocent as possible, feeding on only criminals and never letting her anger get out of control. Although Kat joked about Wynter not even knowing how to be mean or nasty.

The white-haired vampire remembered when her mother had given her the 'talk.' It was funny and definitely not as awkward as she knew it could have been. She's watched TV. But for crying out loud, Wynter was still a virgin and hadn't even had a boyfriend before. Let alone a first kiss.

Not with Katherine as her mother.

The elemental witch hybrid gave a small whine when her companion sunk its teeth into her ear, "What was that for?"

The fox rumbled as it licked the already healed wound and buried its face back into the crook of Wynter's neck.

It was then that she realized she was at the 'Welcome to Mystic Falls' sign. Wynter smiled softly and stroked the animal's bushy white tail, before continuing to walk into town.

:3

Katherine was sitting across from Stefan with her back to the cold brick wall. She was thinking over all the memories she had of her beloved daughter. Kat hadn't seen her for quite some time. The last being in Alaska where they'd parted.

The Petrova had gotten a bit more paranoid than usual, then heard of her doppelganger back in Mystic Falls. She'd shacked up with a Lockwood werewolf and had made Wynter promise not to follow.

Since her little outburst, Stefan had been watching her with an expression Kat couldn't read. His forest green eyes were burning holes into the side of her head like he wanted nothing more than to know more about why she had acted like that. He didn't know Katherine could actually care for someone other than herself.

"No..." Her heartbroken whisper snapped him back to reality. She was staring out the small opening of the tomb's wall with welling tears in her brown eyes.

Stefan followed her gaze to see a light dusting of snow start to cover the green grass outside. The once clear blue sky was beginning to fill with light grey clouds, blotting out any shade of colour.

"Please, baby. No." Katherine murmured, her voice cracking and a tear trailing down her cheek.

The Salvatore looked back at her, shock written all over his face, "This is Wynter?"

Kat was still staring outside with a broken expression on her face. Her lips trembled and she sniffled, before she nodded slowly, "It's her. It always snows when she's close."