Sorrowful Mourning (I)

Start from the beginning

"Can one of you please tell me what on earth this is all for?" I finally managed to ask without being interrupted.

They all paused, suddenly blinking at each other although I'd asked them one of the most complex questions.

"You didn't even tell her?" Julian questioned, finally breaking the silence.

"I thought she knew!" Sebastian argued defensively, his hands shooting up.

"Let me explain, Luna," Elias offered, slowly stepping forward. I was shocked to hear him so willing to speak. When we'd first met all those nights ago he had been unbelievably quiet. I guess he's warmed up to me a bit.

"Every year, the royal pack hosts a grand ball celebrating the descent of the Moon Goddess to this shitty planet. I assume you've heard the legend already, so I won't get into that, but basically to spice things up, Sebastian came up with this ridiculous idea of having a theme-"

"It is not ridiculous," the mentioned man interceded, his eyes narrowing on his colleague.

Rolling those alluring violet eyes, Elias continued on, choosing to disregard Sebastian's words. "Anyway, every werewolf around the world is invited. Hundreds of Alpha's and Luna's show up. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it."

I frowned, not liking the thought of a stiff evening of introductions and fake smiles. "Do I have to go?"

"Of course you have to go. You're the Luna Queen. You can't miss your first ball, everyone's going to want to meet you," Sebastian stated firmly. "Besides, you'll have the Alpha beside you all night, so you don't need to worry about things being awkward."

I could feel the mood in the room mellow down at the mention of my mate.

Just the thought of him made me tired, to be honest. It was strange, because just a few days ago the mere thought of him made my heart burn with a fervent passion, but now in its place were mere ashes of what we had.

Looking away, I took the sudden silence as an opportunity to take my leave. "I'll see you guys later," I murmured, stepping down from the stool I had been standing on for the past hour, my mood officially ruined.

Before I could step out however, Sebastian's hand slid around my wrist, stopping me from exiting. "Alexandria, please don't leave. I'm sorry, I should have been paying more attention," he told me sheepishly, his other hand coming up to rub the back of his neck. "We don't have to do this anymore. We can find something else, just... please-"

"Is that what this is? Are you guys trying to cheer me up?" I asked, my eyes sliding over all of them gathered within the rotunda.

"Misery doesn't suit you, Luna," Julian mumbled, running a hand through his golden locks.

I crossed my arms again, my lips pursing in irritation."I am not miserable," I huffed.

"If you say so," Seb shrugged, not trying to upset me.

Why were they doing this? Why were my mates loyal pack members trying to raise my mood? It didn't make any sense.

"I don't get it," I murmured, meeting his gaze. "How are you guys not also mad at me? You're his trusted advisors."

Sebastian waved a dismissive hand, whilst rolling his brown eyes. "Sweetheart, we all know how irritating Victoria can be. She has a natural talent when it comes to getting under people's skin. The Alpha only puts up with it because she's practically family."

"Family?" I questioned, cocking my head to the side.

"Yeah, they've known each other since they were kids. And when Noah's parents died, they both came to the castle. I still remember the day they both moved in," Elias answered nostalgically, his eyes meeting my own. "The former Luna was like a mother to her."