Chapter Four

The sack tumbles to the ground, the soft strawberries squished as they fall to the rocks. My limbs thrash against the massive hand grasping my body, no pain registering as flesh meets flesh. I take a deep breath as the abomination that I dared to name lifts me to eye level. Its hand positions me so I can be bitten into head first.

      A scream, resembling that of something that refuses to go down without a fight, resonates through the valley and my whole being. All I can hear is my heart beating in my ears. Those eyes I had called pretty now were staring at me, sizing up their next meal. I shove against the moving fingers, attempting to wriggle out of its grasp.  My attempts are fruitless as time ticks on like a thick honey leaking through my fingers.

    My scream boils down to sobs until I can hardly see through the tears. "Just...eat me," I croak, going limp. "Just eat me already. Don't keep me in suspen--hic--se." Red hair glints in the morning sun as it tumbles downwards. My head is hung, and I clench my eyes shut, bracing for the moment it finally snaps and devours me.

     Moments tick by, neither of us moving. I refuse to open my eyes for fear that I'll open them and see white teeth as they crunch on my head. The wind blows my hair wildly, and I can feel warm Titan breath on the back of my scalp.

     Something presses gently against my limp shoulder, and after a moment I open my eyes to see what it is.

     "Wha--" I whisper in surprise, taking the half-filled sack of strawberries clenched between two of the massive fingers.

     A moan erupts from its lips, and I lift my head from the bag to its face. Its mouth slowly opens, letting the moan resonate for a second before changing the pitch and moving its lips slowly. I squint, wiping tears from my eyes with my wrist. Those teeth are all I can see. Flashing images of blood and chomped-up bodies flash through my mind, sending into a relapse of sobbing.

     "D--d...ohn't cr--ryyy."

     I feel a soft pressure on my head, which is relieved and compressed a few times, as if patting me.

     My mouth hangs open and the sack slips from my grasp. The huge, heavy-lidded blue eyes blink slowly back at me and the Titan relaxes his grip slightly as he adjusts his stance from a pounce-position to a crouch. 

     I tense up again, wriggling with all my might in a last attempt to free myself. I succeed only in making his grip tighten again, however. With my adrenaline quickly waning, the pain finally starts to seep in. My wrists and forearms hurt, and my legs feel like they've been hammered on.

     "Please...just let me live or eat me. I can't take this," I sob, letting myself go limp again. "Just get it over quick."

    "N--nooo. I d-do-oon't wan-want to eat-t youuu," it stutters in as reassuring a voice can be that comes from a titan, relaxing its grip again. "I pr-prommmis-se."

     My sniffles all but die down as I have to continually wipe my eyes free from the flood of tears that pours from my eyes.

     "I'm-m sor-r-ry about your-your berries." It picks up the nearly empty sack, holding it in front of me a I continue wiping away tears.

     "It's...okay," I answer according to habit, taking the bag after a long pause.

     "And--and I'm sorry...sorry for-r scar-r-ring you too, Willow." It raises its huge hand up to rub the back of its neck.

     It knows my name. Ugh, I don't like that. I don't like anything about this at all, whatsoever. I try forcing back the contents of my stomach that are worming their way up, but they make their way through regardless, and I have no choice but to release them.

     It moves me further away from its face, maneuvering around the spill as it climbs its way nimbly on three limbs towards the cave. My vision starts to blur and darken around the edges, and I can fell the nausea overcome my mind.

     The last thing I can remember clearly is watching his lips pull into a tightened smile as he takes one last look at me before bounding back over the meadow. The clouds drifted overhead, the sunlight making his pale blue eyes glint. A deep breath escaped me as my body went limp and my vision went completely dark.

                                                                       * * * * *

     I messed up, he thinks, examining his hands and pressing his head against the cold, rough cliff side. His hair is still clumped together and muddy, and the relentless wind bites his bare skin. I messed up so badly.

     His hand glazes over his stomach, remembering the numbing pain that plagued him for days. Birds chase each other merrily through the towering trees as he gazes longingly at the little apple tree shading the opening of the cave in the mountainside.

     Their smell tugs at him from within, but only barely.

     He groans and stands up, having soaked up enough sunlight to be able to move efficiently through the thick, shaded forest. With a flying leap, he breaks into a four-legged gallop, dodging nimbly through the trees.

    The village is a good half hour walk for them, but for him it's only a few minute run.

     The trees thin slightly before stopping abruptly just a few hundred yards in front of him. He knows better than to climb one of the outlying trees, so he instead picks a tree well-hidden from the view of the village.

     The huge trees are a breeze for him to climb, and he clings to the trunk with ease with one arm wrapped around it and the other hanging down for balance. From here, he can see all the movement going on.

     They're not outside, so that's good. It means that they're not within direct radius of any Titans. Any other Titans, that is.

     A door creaks open, capturing his attention. Two tiny figures emerge from the nearly-collapsed store, clutching packages close to their chest. They bump into each other and pause a moment before starting their walk to the path that leads to their home.

     He transfers cautiously from tree to tree, observing them carefully. 

     As far as he knows, these are the only living humans outside the wall. The only human contact he can have, unless he breaks into Wall Rose.

     None of them are going to die, not on his watch.  Not unless they kill him first.