Chapter 2

It's 4 years later. Emmalee is now 20 and living in an apartment just a few miles away from the Missouri State University campus where she was attending college. She was finally out on her own living a couple hours away from her parents and free of their powers to ground her from the internet. Though, if she tried to bring up the adoption again they told her they would stop helping her pay for college and rent. So she would drop it again knowing she couldn't afford it on her own currently. Little did they know, after she finished her first year of college she went ahead and started her search again for her real family. She just had to make sure they never found out she was looking.
——————————————-
Emmalee was sitting in her room focused on the laptop in front of her trying to finish writing the essay she had due in a few days. She was pulled out of her thoughts when her boyfriend Turner said "Em are you going to answer your phone or let it ring forever?"
She looked down and realized she really was getting a phone call. She quickly answered it before it could go to voicemail.
"Hi this is Emmalee Grace Evans correct?" The woman on the phone asked.
"Yes this is Emmalee"
"Hi Emmalee this is Amanda with the child services department. You've been in contact with us trying to find your biological family and I think I've finally found them."
"Oh my gosh!!! Are you serious?! Please tell me you're not kidding and this isn't some prank!" Emmalee immediately gets up and starts pacing at the news.
"Yes dear I believe we have found them. They were also looking for information about you which has helped push down all the locks and barriers that were set up by the couple who adopted you shortly after they moved you away and changed your name." Amanda continues as Emmalee is too shocked to say anything. "Now, I cannot give you all the information over the phone but if you come by the office I will give you all the papers with full information. I can tell you that you have brothers who have been trying to find you for several years now and they've already reached out to me asking for your contact information. Would you like for me to provide that to them?"
"Yes absolutely please do! When can I come get the papers from you?"
"You can come any time in the next couple hours or you can come by Monday between 8 and 5. Just tell whoever is at the desk that you are there to see Amanda and they will bring you to my office. Your brothers would also like to know where you are located now. Is it alright for me to provide them that information when i give them your number?"
"Yes you can tell them that I am in Springfield, Missouri. I'll head towards your office soon so I can get those papers from you today before you leave."
"Alright that sounds wonderful. I will see you soon Emmalee. Congratulations on finding your family."
"Thank you so much. See you soon" Emmalee says before hanging up the phone and immediately bursting into tears of joy.
She looks up to see her boyfriend Turner looking at her extremely confused on what just happened and concerned by the fact that she is crying. She opens her mouth to explain but gets cut off by her phone ringing with an unknown number. She decides to go for it and answer. "Hello?"
"Hey is this Emmalee Evans?" The stranger on the phone asks.
"Yes. Who is this?" She replies.
"My name is Nick. I just received your number from Amanda. I'm one of your older brothers."
"Oh my gosh. Hi. I can't believe this. Hi." She says not sure what to say as she is in complete shock that she actually has siblings.
Nick chuckles and then continues "so Amanda said that you are in Springfield Missouri right now? We are actually only about 20 minutes away right now for an event today and we were really hoping we could see you before we leave town late tonight."
Emmalee stands there with her mouth wide open in shock. She cannot believe that not only did she find her family, but she also gets to meet them today.
"Ummmm hello? Are you still there?" Nick asks as he checks his phone to make sure the call didn't disconnect.
"Oh yes sorry." Emmalee stumbles over her words as she tries to gather her thoughts. "I was about to go by Amanda's office to pick up the paperwork she has for me. I could meet you somewhere after I leave there?"
"That sounds great! I will text you the address we are at and you can call when you are almost here." Nick says now getting very excited.
"Alright I guess I'll see you in a little bit then!" Emmalee says before they hang up.
She looks up at Turner with the biggest smile on her face.
"What on earth was all of that Em?" He asks with a confused look on his face.
"You'll never believe it! They found all the information. They found my REAL family Turner!!" She says practically jumping up and down. She quickly starts putting on her shoes and getting ready to leave as fast as she can. She looks to see Turner is just standing there not moving or getting ready at all. She stops and looks at him before saying "Turner COME ON! We have to go! I want to get those papers and then go meet my family!" He quickly catches on and they finish getting ready. She looks down at her phone as they are walking out the door and sees a text message from the number that had last called her. She looks at the address to see that they are at some arena in town.
'That's odd' she thinks to herself. 'What sort of event could they be at for the day at the arena?' She shrugs it off as they get in the car and start driving to Amanda's office to get the paperwork. She can't believe it. She's finally going to find out who she really is and who her family is.