Chapter 1 - introduction

Emmalee was looking through the family file cabinet in her fathers office trying to find some papers she needed for school. She found a folder in the very back of the drawer with her name on it that she had never seen before. She decided to check it out and see what was in it. As she opened it she found adoption papers. Adoption papers with her name on them.
"How could this be?" She asked herself. She flips through the pages to see that anything relating to the biological family was marked out and unreadable. She quickly makes copies of everything and hides the copy in her room before her parents return. She sits on the couch with the original copy continuing to look through them until she hears the door open.
"Hi honey how was your day?" Her mother Susan said as she and Emmalee's father walk in the room.
"Mom what are these papers?!" Emmalee said looking up with tears in her eyes.
"How on earth did you find those? I thought we had that drawer locked!" Susan said
"I was just looking for those papers for school I told you about this morning and I found this folder in the back of the drawer. How could you keep this from me all this time?"
"Oh honey you were never meant to find out"
"WHY NOT" Emmalee exclaimed jumping up from the couch. "How dare you think I don't deserve to know that you aren't my real mom?! Why are all the other names covered on here? I want to know who my REAL family is!"
"Listen here young lady. You are our daughter and it was our decision to keep this from you. That family didn't want you so you don't need to worry about it." Her father said now joining in the conversation as it escalated.
"But it's not fair! I want to know who they are!" Emmalee continued in tears.
"Like your father said you don't need to worry about it Emmalee. You are ours now and you have been for 15 years. Drop it." Her mother said trying to get the papers from her.
"But -" Emmalee started.
"No but's. Your mother said to drop it so you need to drop it. Give us the papers and forget about all this. You are not to go looking for them while you live under this roof. They didn't want you so you don't need to waste your time. Focus on school and keeping your grades up." Her father said taking the file and putting it back in the drawer making sure it was locked this time. Emmalee was glad she made copies. She was going to find a way to find out more to this story.
She just couldn't understand how she was 16 and her parents hadn't told her about this. She stopped in-front of the mirror in her room and stared into it. Now that she thought about it she didn't really look like her parents. Her dark hair and hazel eyes looked nothing like her blonde hair and blue eyed parents. It was starting to make sense that they weren't actually her parents. She just wished she could find out why she was adopted.
——————————————————-
A few weeks later Emmalee felt quite defeated as she sat in her room. She had tried to search and find more about her birth family, but she had gotten caught by her father. She was now grounded. They took away all access and chances for her to get to the internet so that she couldn't look for it anymore. They refused to give her any more information and threatened that if they found out she continued to search the punishments would get worse than just taking away her phone and laptop.
She was so discouraged she decided to drop it until she could move out so she wouldn't have to deal with them. Little did she know that somewhere in California, her brothers were also trying to track her down.
———————————————