Chapter Sixty-Five

Start from the beginning

"We need your help!" Hange said.

"We?" Sarah asked.

Hange nodded, she went back to the tree and picked up Levi. The sight of him had the husband and wife gasp in horror.

"Please, he's not going to survive if we continue on foot. He needs a doctor immediately." Hange said.

"Get him in. Get someone to help the man into the wagon." Joseph said.

Coming from the carriage, two young men came, they went to Hange and took Levi from her arms, she told them to be gentle since he has fractured bones. Complying to the Commander's orders, the two young men had Levi on the wagon, and soon, Hange followed to get in. To her surprise, she saw five more people in the wagon – Sarah, Dr. Weaver, a little girl, and two young men, the ones who helped Levi.

"Who are these..." Hange said in a whisper.

"Please, place him on the floor, carefully." Said Dr. Weaver.

Dr. Weaver – Sofia – took off her cape, revealing a baby in her arms, she carefully handed the child to Sarah's arms before she went to Levi's side to see his injuries. Hange's eyes trailed on the sleeping baby in Sarah's arms, she noticed the head full of red hair on the child, and some similarities to a little boy she knew.

That's Leon's baby? Hange thought as she remembered when Iris tried to insist Leon on going home to Sofia to see his child. She already gave birth to his child and he wasn't there...

"Commander Hange, do you know the cause of this?" Sofia asked.

"A Thunderspear." Hange said.

Eyes widening, Sofia opened Levi's shirt and saw the damage. She was surprised that it wasn't as bad as the ones she saw years ago, but still the injury that the man had was still critical and could lead him to death.

"I was surprised as well." Hange spoke. "But, there was another soldier that got caught in the explosion, and he didn't survive..."

Masrur must've gotten Levi away from the explosion...

"Sofia, can you fix him?" Joseph asked.

"I'm not sure... we need to take him to a hospital." Sofia said. "Shinganshina is the nearest one –"

"We can't. Shinganshina is a battlefield now." Hange said. "Sofia, you're Levi's last hope, do what you can to save him... please..."

~*~

"Papa, do you love Mama?"

Levi was taken aback by the question that his daughter asked. He didn't know what to say, things were still complicated between him and Maria. He turned to Maria to see her reaction to their daughter's question, and saw that she too was surprised.

Levi sighed. He took Iris from the ground, surprising the girl since he rarely carries her in his arms. Iris grinned and was about to wrap her arms around her father's neck, but she was then handed to someone else, confusing her, when she turned to the person currently carrying her, she slightly frowned to see that it was her mother, knowing that it meant that they were leaving.

"But Mama, I want Papa." Iris pouted.

"Levi..." Maria begged. "Please."

"I'll walk you home." Levi said.

Iris grinned at what her father said, and immediately she started to wiggle out of her mother's arms and try to get into her father's, pulling on his shirt.

"Hey, stop that." Levi told her.

Iris was shaken by her father's harsh tone, she hid her face at the crook of her mother's neck, afraid to look at him. Maria felt her daughter slightly shaking, she turned to Levi with narrowed eyes.