Chapter Six

"So, you're really joining the Cadets?"

"We are."

Miss Margaret couldn't help but frown, her eyes glistening with tears. She looked down at her two students, Iris and Leon, who finally made their leave from school to join the Cadet Corps. For a moment, she saw the two as children who would run around, get into fights, who would curse and say things that would make any elderly woman faint.

"We're not the only ones." Leon said. "There are others who are going to join the cadets too..."

"And once you graduate?" she asked.

"Then we join the Survey Corps." Iris answered.

Miss Margaret hid her tears and forced herself to smile. It was no secret that the two have always had their eyes on the Scouts since the very beginning. She have come to accept that they would one day pack their things and leave, but she never thought that the day would come so soon. And she couldn't bare to think that one day they would be one of those –

"Miss Margaret." Iris approached the woman and took her hands with hers. "You're crying..."

"I am?" Miss Margaret wiped her fallen tears. "I'm sorry – this shouldn't be –"

"Don't worry, Miss Margaret." Leon said, smiling. "Once we become Scouts, we'll reclaim Wall Maria and get rid of the Titans..."

"That is if Leon won't shit himself at the first mission." Iris said, smirking.

"Ass." Leon punched her at the shoulder.

To their surprise, Miss Margaret pulled the two of them to an embrace. Appalled by their teacher's actions, the two glanced at each other (from each side of Miss Margaret's shoulder) and then wrapped their arms around the woman.

"Promise me... that you'll always look out for each other." Miss Margaret said.

"We will, don't worry." Leon said.

"Good."

~*~

"Come on, Eren, it's curfew."

Eren Jaeger took one last look at the fields before he reluctantly followed his friends back to their current home. He remembered the first time he came there, at the Kirsch farm. He was with his friends and Armin's grandfather, all refugees brought to that fast land owned by a former Scout; when he got to the farm, it was all fields and tall trees, but then they arrived and now it was a small community with wooden houses for their shelter.
To keep the peace, Joseph put on a schedule for the people, by six they should be up and ready for breakfast and then they whole day, they had to work – farming mostly, and cleaning – by three in the afternoon, they were allowed to rest, and by nine everyone must be in their homes, he didn't care if they were asleep or not, just as they were contained in their houses.

The sound of the gates opening and horses galloping caught Eren's attention. Turning his attention back to the Kirsch house, he saw a man with a green cloak, and at the man's back were two wings – blue and white – the symbol of the Scouts. His eyes widened to see one there, but he was even more surprised when the soldier took off his hood, revealing his face.

That's Captain Levi! He thought. He was amazed to find Humanity's Strongest Soldier in the Kirsch farm. If he's here, then it must be business!

He watched as Levi was welcomed to the Kirsch home by Sarah. The door closed before he could see any further.

"Eren, come on!" Armin said. "We don't want Joseph to get mad."

"Right..."

~*~

"Levi, thank goodness you're here!" Sarah said.