Chapter Thirty-Five

Orvud District Army Headquarters

Upon arriving at the Army Headquarters, the Levi Squad was asked to come to the meeting. On getting down the wagon, Iris was helped down by Leon by lifting her by the waist and bringing her to the ground.

"I can walk." Iris said.

"Sorry... it's just the last time I saw you... your legs were..." Leon said.

"Don't worry." Iris said.

"Historia!" Levi called the young woman. Iris and the others approached them. "I forgot to tell you, there is something we need you to do."

"What's that?" Historia asked.

"Once we finish off this Titan, and seeing that you are the successor of the throne, you will become Queen."

Everyone was in shock to what they heard. Leon, who stood behind Historia looked down at the young woman, and then to Iris who stood beside him and does not seem bothered by the orders given to Historia.

No, this isn't right... Leon thought. Iris... she's...

She's different... she's special... She will lead humanity to victory... She will be our salvation... The woman's voice echoed in his mind. She is the Queen in the Walls...

"The coup de 'tat was successful, but the people won't follow military rule forever. We need to give them a heart-warming story, one that tells of the rightful heir retaking her throne from a fraud..."

"Uh..." Connie began. "You heard what Historia said earlier, right, Captain? Because, it sounded to me that you're siding beside her dad... she finally broke off that part of her life, you know... it's just like..."

"Like what? If you have something to say, then say it." Levi said.

"Captain." Jean spoke. "What Connie is trying to say is that... Historia has finally broke free from the Reiss family, that she was more than just a puppet, but to force her into such a role... with what she said earlier... I just don't think that's fair."

"It's fine." Historia said. "If my next duty is to be Queen, then that's what I'll do."

"But Historia..." Armin said.

"I do appreciate your concern... even if it was forced on me... it's still up to me to decide. And I've decided... Captain, before that, I have one condition."

"And that is?" Levi asked.

"Well, while my fate is still my own, I want to put everything I have on the line."

There was silence for a time. He looked down at Historia for a time, then to Iris, who stood behind Historia, waiting for his response as well.

"And I guess you would ask the same thing, huh." Levi said, looking at Iris.

Iris and Historia were in shock. Historia looked behind her and saw Iris standing behind her. She saw the black-haired girl nod and take a step forward.

"Fine by me."

~*~

Iris and Historia were given a new set of uniforms, if they were to fight as well, they needed proper clothes and not the ones they were wearing. They were both changing in a room, Iris would steal glances at Historia, knowing who she is.

You are the first to have Reiss-Ackerman blood.

"Did you know?" Historia asked.

"What?" Iris asked.

"About who we are..."

Iris was silent for a time. She finished fastening the belt on her chest before she turned to Historia.