Chapter 8-The Truth

It was comfortable on his back, felt like I was on a mattress but since we were here, I had to get off. We had a good talk but it was a little awkward since half the time he looked as if he was struck by lightning.

“Over here!” I hear Alli called from table number 4. Cody and I smiled and walked towards the table.

“What took you guys so long?” Josh asked in a curious tone.

“Bella twisted her ankle so we had a few troubles with that but then we made it,” Cody explained. I smiled, I liked the idea of keeping the moment of him carrying me between us.

“Bella, why are you smiling?” Alli teased.

“Oh I was just thinking about...how...I used to hang out with my friends in Sydney like this...good memories...” I stupidly reasoned and ended with a smile. They all looked at me with puzzlement but then we settled down and decided to focus on the food.

“Bella, what do you like?” Cody surprisingly asked.

“Well, I do like spaghetti with a lot of ketchup,” I replied, partially because I do like spaghetti and ketchup and partially because...well...Cody liked ketchup.

“OMG, you like ketchup? So does Cody!” Alli exclaimed.

“Really? What a coincidence,” I said in a delightful tone as I was surprised.

When the food came, I wasn’t that...satisfied. There was parsley on it which I know makes it really appealing but I’m just not a big fan of greens.

“What’s wrong?” Josh asked thoughtfully.

“Oh, it’s nothing. It’s just that I don’t really know....how to eat parsley...” I replied embarrassedly. Josh smiled and brought my plate closer to his and picked out every parsley on my dish and put it on his. As I watched him do it, I realised that he was also really sweet. I realised that I was starting to drift off into an unwanted topic and like a weirdo, I got my hand and punched my head to snap out of it.  There was an awkward silence.

“Are you okay Bella?” Cody asked as everyone in the restaurant was staring at me.

“I’m fine, I’ve just got a small headache. Hey, do you guys want to take a picture together?” I asked trying to change the topic quickly.

“Sure,” Alli replied. I asked the waiter to take picture for us and then we continued eating.

“Oh yeah, do you want to exchange numbers?” Alli suggested before we left and so we got each other’s number at the last minute.

Cody’s P.O.V

After we were done, I decided to walk Bella home as a sign of being a gentlemen.

“So, have you ever been emotionally hurt?” I asked her, I was hoping to build something from personal questions. It took her a while before she began to answer me.

“Well, there was this time in year 5, where I had a crush on this guy, I was pretty naive back then. One day I decided to talk to him but he called me ugly and ran away from me. You know, it was no big deal but it still hurts you know, to know that someone you liked thought you were ugly,” she replied so sweetly, so vulnerably, she looked so fragile.

As I stared intently at her, she asked me the same question, “What about you?” she said and smile graciously. I quickly got myself back into reality and replied.

“Me? Well, in year 3, there was this girl I liked, but she was one of those popular ones right, and one day I decided to tell her how I felt. When I did, the next day she went around spreading a rumour that I was a retard,” I answered while gazing into the sunset, it  really made it easier to bring back a few things from the past.

“Well you’re famous now,” she whispered.

“But fame doesn’t buy you love,” I whispered back. We smiled at each other for a long time.

“Well I’m here now, thanks for walking me home,” Bella reminded, when she finally realised that arrived at her house. A part of me didn’t want her to leave.

“Bye Cody,“ she called as she was at her doorstep.

I gave a wave and under my breath, mumbled to myself, “Bye Bella.”

As I walked home, I tried to convince myself that I didn’t have a crush on her and it was just in the moment. I tried to remind myself about what Scooter said about no commitment. I have to be stronger than this, I need to control myself. When I arrived in at the car, Alli and Josh were waiting for me.

“About time,” Alli said,

“So, did you kiss her?” she continued.

“No, I think I should still wait before I decide to do anything that might freak her out," I answered.

“Wait, you have a crush on her?” Josh asked confusedly. Alli and I looked at each other and decided to tell him.

“You see, Scooter told me to find a girl and try to make her my girlfriend so that it will attract the media and in this case, I chose Bella,” I told him. He looked at me for a long time as if he was struck and then finally said something.

“MAN, ARE YOU SERIOUS? YOU CAN'T JUST USE HER THAT WAY, WHAT IF SHE ACTUALLY LIKES YOU, AND THEN WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? JUST DUMP HER AND BREAK HER HEART? BELLA'S A SWEET GIRL AND SHE DOESN'T DESERVE THIS, YOU HAVE TO STOP!!” Josh arrogantly ranted.

“STOP YELLING AT ME, YOU THINK I WANT TO DO THIS? YOU THINK I WANT TO HURT HER? I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE. LOOK JOSH, I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY MATE, THAT'S WHY I TOLD YOU, NOT SO YOU CAN TELL ME OFF. CAN YOU JUST SUPPORT ME?” I raged back. 

“I’m your best mate, that’s why I’m not letting you do such a dick move,” and with that Josh got out of the car and slammed the door.

“WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU’RE GOING? HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO GET TO THE HOTEL?” I yelled.

“OH, THERE’S THIS THING CALLED THE BUS WHICH IS A TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE THAT EVERYONE CAN USE BUT YOU WOULDN’T KNOW SINCE YOU’RE TOO BUSY BEING FAMOUS AND USING PEOPLE” and with that he walked to the bus stop.

On the car, I leaned my head against the window. I’ve lost my best friend and I’m about to give a lovely girl so much pain. This isn’t what I wanted, I didn’t want to hurt anyone. I want to tell someone and look for answers but sometimes the solutions aren’t that easy to find and problems aren’t that easy to solve.