Chapter 7-To the Beach Again

As soon as my alarm clock hit 7 today, I leapt out of bed as if I was an Olympic gymnast. I quickly got ready and ran down the stairs, jumping the last 3 stairs to save time.

“Bella, you’re up early today,” mum beamed.

“Yeah, I’ve got to get to the beach by 7:30 and I don’t want to be late,” I explained as I quickly swallowed mouthfuls of cereal, it’s become a favourite now.

“Bye mum!” I yelled as I ran out of the door.

“Hey, you made it!” Cody laughed as he saw me puffing. I smiled a stupid smile.

“Well, this is Alli, my sister and this is my best mate Josh,” Cody introduced as I shook each person’s hand.

“Cody said you were really nice, I hope we can be good friends after this,” Alli grinned sweetly.

“Definitely,” I replied humbly. I then looked into Josh’s direction and gave a smile as a greeting. I’m not that good with socialising but these people were really welcoming and it made me feel more at ease.

“Well, Alli and I are going to get the gear and Bella and Josh can set up the shade cloth,” Cody suggested and went to the gear from the back of his personal car.

“Let’s get started,” Josh chuckled as he got the cloth to spread on the sand. We were early and there were only 3-4 people strolling around the beach.

“So...what do you think of Cody?” I asked to start a conversation.

“Yeah, he’s a nice guy, that’s why he has so many girls chasing after him” Josh joked, “that reminds  me, do you want to hear a joke?” he continued.

“Sure, why not. But this isn’t one of those dry ones right?” I joked back. I liked jokes; I liked telling them, making them and hearing them.

“Why was the girl in braces so loved?” he asked with a mini-grin on his face as if he was about to explode.

“Why?” I asked in return.

“Come on, have a guess,” he pleaded.

“Um...because she had a sweet tooth?” I guessed, I know, that was a lame answer but it was the closest thing I could come up with.

“Close, but it was because she was...’EMBRACED’,” Josh answered as he began to laugh. His face looked hilarious so I couldn’t help but laugh myself.

“Hey, where are you guys up to?” Cody yelled from 500m away while walking back to us.

“Nearly done," Josh yelled back and gave me a sweet grin.

“Let’s go surfing,” Josh whispered as he ran to Cody for his surfboard. Surfing? How do you surf?

“Um...there’s a slight problem. I don’t actually know how to surf...” I called to Alli, Josh and Cody.

“I’ll help you,” Cody replied with a smile. Okay, let me make this point clear, ‘Cody Simpson’s’ teaching me how to surf. I’ve been smiling a lot lately, I seriously think there’s something wrong with me.  

He walked over and began to explain the steps, “Okay, so first, you want to start off...” I’ll admit, I wasn’t listening half the time due to daydreaming but in the end I got the drill and excitedly grabbed my board into the water.

While we were surfing, Josh suddenly decided to stay back to set up a few things. Since I wasn’t a big surfer, after 30 minutes, I decided to go back to where Josh was to watch Cody and Alli swim and surf.

“Why aren’t you surfing?” I curiously asked Josh.

He gave a smile and replied, “I don’t know, today I just don’t really feel like it. And...well, sometimes I just feel comfortable on the sand and I want to just sit and watch the view you know? I just feel like everyone’s too busy living their lives and there are times when they just need to relax and just let go of everything...” Josh explained as he gazed passionately at the view. I listened intently to what he was saying and then observed the view. It was truly beautiful. I looked at him to see if he had anything else to say but he just looked deeply into the sky, his eyes so full of life and freedom. I turned back to the sky-view and decided to watch the view with him.

“Hey Bella, why didn’t you surf longer?” Alli asked as she went back to us in a soggy appearance.

“I guess I’m not a really big fan of surfing,” I sighed as I looked at Cody happily surfing. I turned back to Alli as soon as possible before she realised what I was staring at.

“So, do you guys surf often?” I asked to lighten up the mood.

“Yeah, Cody used to swim at the club where our mum worked at but when he became famous, he had to focus on his career. So every chance of surfing or swimming he gets, he takes it,” Alli replied. I looked at how happy Cody looked as he surfed, a part of me felt happy inside for no particular reason. I don’t know what it is.

About 12pm, Cody decided to take us to the diner down the street.

“Josh, can you and Alli go there first, Bella and I are just going to get something first,” Cody told Alli and then walked towards me. I was worried about what he was going to say.

“What is it?” I asked hoping to get quick answers.

“It’s nothing, I just wanted to talk to you on our way there since I’ve realised we’ve done nothing together throughout the whole day,” he responded as we slowly paced from the beach.

“So, you come from here?” Cody asked while we were walking down the pavement.

“No actually, I actually came from Sydney and only moved here about a week ago,” I replied.

“Oh I see, no wonder you act so dif-, Oh my god, are you okay?” Cody asked in the middle of his sentence. Why? right when we were having a civil conversation, my ankle decides to twist.

“No, it’s okay, I’m fine, let’s just keep walking,” I quickly said while sinking in the pain. Suddenly he bent down and grabbed my ankle. I couldn’t help myself, I let out a little blush.

“I’ll carry you there,” he requested.

“No it’s okay,” I croaked but he quickly crouched and grabbed me onto his back. I let out a smile and started feel excitement, this felt perfect.

Cody’s P.O.V

Today was supposed to be a day for me and her to get to know each other and hang out but I’ve nearly forgotten so I better use all the time I can get. I decided to carry her to have a more intimate conversation. 

“Thanks Cody,” she whispered as she settled on my back. I didn’t mind carrying her, she almost seemed weightless, I felt...comfortable.

“So how was it in Sydney, ever gotten a boyfriend?” I asked, that was a reckless question but what has been said cannot be...unsaid.

“I never really got an interest in any boys in my grade so I guess that would be a no?” she replied in a pleasant tone. This is bad, really bad. I don’t want to make her first love a nightmare, what if she’ll never look at relationships the same way again? My heart began to pump quickly at the thought of her crying and feeling depressed because of me. I shook my head continuously to get rid of the thought.

“What’s wrong?” Bella asked as she saw me randomly shaking my head.

“Oh, it’s nothing, I just had an itchy nose, that’s all,” I replied idiotically. I looked forward, we were here.