The Big Game

Would the madam help another slave?

That afternoon, Sooyoung, Taeyeon and Dahyun sat together in Sooyoung's sitting room. Sooyoung was studying Sungjae's philosophy books from Sungkyunkwan, writing her own notes and thoughts on paper. Taeyeon was writing down the detailed menu and the servants log duties for the household. Yook Family was a big house with so many servants. Madam Im had given Sooyoung most of the house management duties and she had opted more and more to do her hobby: tailoring hanbok.

Dahyun was polishing a huge box of Sooyoung's jewels with a silk cloth, trying to be as quiet as possible since the baby Jae Young was fast asleep in a crib beside her.

However, her mind went back again and again to her friend, Park Jihyo, who said she'd rather kill herself than continue working for her abuser. She also begged Dahyun to ask Sooyoung to save her.

It was hard for a slave.

You had nowhere to go. And your owner could kill you without anyone batting an eyelash, since a master had the rights for the slave's life. You wouldn't be able to get free, unless the master let you go willingly.

In Park Jihyo's case, she was bought by a brute. A butcher who lived alone and used her not only to clean his house and cook his meals, but also regularly raping her. As if that wasn't enough, the butcher was also a drunkard, who often beat Jihyo when he was drunk.

Dahyun understood Jihyo's wish to kill herself. Life could feel really bleak and hopeless if you were a slave.

Would Madam Park Sooyoung be willing to save Jihyo like how she saved Dahyun?

Would Dahyun's position as her maid be endangered if she asked for help?

By that time, Dahyun loved Sooyoung so much, that she couldn't see herself working with anyone else but her.

In the end, what she could remember was Jihyo's bruised and desperate, crying face.

Her heart couldn't help but wanting to try.

"Samonim?"

Sooyoung stopped writing and looked up.

"Would you save someone else, who desperately need it, like you saved myself?"

"............is there someone else who needs help?"

"I met a friend as we went to the market this morning. She's Park Jihyo. A friend who worked with a master on the same road as Madam Kim Sowon. She's owned by a butcher.....who often raped......and beat her.......she begged for Samonim to save her. She's willing to be a chamber pot maid for the rest of her life here if you're willing to-"

"Yah, don't trouble uri samonim with you and your friend's problem!" Taeyeon scolded.

"But she-I believe she's so desperate, Samonim. If you won't save her, she said she'd kill herself tomorrow!"

Sooyoung stood up so abruptly until her papers, books and bottle of ink toppled to the floor.

"Show me the way, I'll buy her."

"Samonim! You don't have to concern yourself with their problems!"

"Gamsahamnida, Samonim, you are indeed an angel sent by God!"

The loud noises made Jae Young woke up. He then wailed at the ruckus.

"See, you woke up the baby!"

"Mianhamnida!" Dahyun said regrettably, quickly holding Jae Young and trying to console him.

Sooyoung took out the necklace of keys from the chain around her neck, the one that was usually hidden under her clothes. It was the key to Sungjae's treasury room.