Explosions

Sungjae was in a thunderous mood all day. He angrily told his friends happened. They were all utterly bewildered because there was a gisaeng who had so much nerve, trying to snatch him.

He had to drink cups and cups of tea to calm down and resumed his work for the latter part of the day.

However, when he met his wife in the evening, guilt crept over him.

Seeing Sooyoung, who was walking slower with her pregnancy, smiling cheerfully to greet him, he really felt ashamed. He wished she'd never known that a gisaeng had trapped him. He was disgusted instead of tempted, but he'd rather she never heard of it.

He hugged her for a long time in bed, grateful that he'd never betray her. Still, it terrified him.

"Sungjaenim, mianhada, can you not--? It's really hot tonight."

It was indeed the middle of summer, and Sooyoung felt the heat was unbearable, even in the evening.

She's sweating all over, even her under shirt was already wet.

She sat up and felt for her fan, but couldn't find it.

"Ah, I left it in my sitting room" she sighed.

"What is it? What are you looking for?"

"My fan. It's so hot."

"Oh. I'll take it for you."

"Andwaeyo. It's alright. Do you bring your fan?"

They both carried a folded fan everyday during the summer. A painting of cherry blossoms decorated her fan, and he had a new one, a present from her. He had requested her to use her skills in calligraphy to write a quote for him on a new folded paper fan. He loved it a lot and had been carrying it everywhere that summer.

"........... I forgot. It's probably in my office."

"Oh. I guess you can't help it, then. I'll just open the windows."

"Let me do it."

Sungjae stood up and opened several windows.

"Is it better?"

"Not really."

She did look like she couldn't stand it. Her under shirt was wet on her back.

"You need to change, Sooyoung. You'll catch a cold if you keep wearing that shirt."

Sooyoung had got up from the bed and was fanning herself with her hand. Her hair was matted on her forehead with sweat.

"I guess so. Do you mind calling Taeyeon unnie for me?"

"Gwaenchana. I'll take the dress."

"But—"

Without giving her more chance to stop him, he walked to the other side of the room, passed the partitions, and opened her carved cabinets.

He found her bathing robe and carried it to her.

"That's not an under dress."

"It's silk. Just take off your layers and wear this."

She looked at him as if he spoke in a language she couldn't understand.

"You need to sleep. Change into this. I don't want you to get headaches again."

"Oh....."

She's really embarrassed, actually. The silk bathrobe would display her body, and it had been a few months since Sungjae saw her without any clothes. Wearing the silk bathrobe would feel like she's lying naked beside him. And she's pregnant! That's really indecent.