Honey Water

It felt really warm, he mused, snuggling closer to the warmth. Smelled really good too. Ah, it would be nice if he could stay like this all day.

Wait, what?

Surprised, Sungjae opened her eyes.

He smelled wisteria flowers. That was the first thing he sensed.

It's his habit to bury his head into his mattress and blanket when he woke up, just for a few more seconds of comfort.

His mattress felt strange that morning.

If he listened carefully, he heard a fast pat, pat, pat, pat.....

It took him three seconds to realize he was hearing a heartbeat. Someone's heartbeat.

He jumped to a sitting position, flustered and shocked.

His wife lied beside him, her face was very pale and she was as still as a statue.

"G—good morning"

Sooyoung gulped and replied, "Good morning."

"Are you alright?"

"Ne."

"Mianhe. I—I'm not used to have someone else on my bed" he hurried to explain, and even he thought it sounded silly.

"I—I see."

Dear Ancestors, how long did I lie on her chest?

Fighting the urge to facepalm, Sungjae got off the bed to pour himself a cup of water, and drank it in one go. Once he felt better, he brought a fresh cup to Sooyoung.

"Here. Have some water."

Sooyoung sat up, bowed to him and drank it.

Before they had the chance to do anything else, they heard sounds at the doors.

It was the custom to lock the bedroom doors of newlyweds from the outside, in hope that they'd consummate their marriage on the wedding night.

The two were silent as Baekhyun, Taeyeon (Sooyoung's maid) and the wedding ritual lady entered the room.

The latter looked satisfied enough to see them in their underclothes and the wedding robes in the carved railing beside the bed.

Taeyeon helped Sooyoung to get up from the bed, wore her outer wedding dress robe, then covered her from the head with a daily robe.

Sooyoung bowed to Sungjae, before leaving the room with Taeyeon.

It wasn't Baekhyun's habit to quiz his young master, and he acted like there was nothing different that morning than the night before. Besides, knowing him, Baekhyun was sure nothing much happened the previous night.

*****************************************************

It's also the custom of that era to build the house of a wealthy person in two large divisions, for female and male. As the wife of the only son of the family, Sooyoung received her own large pavilion, consisted of several sitting rooms, her own kitchen, library, a park, and a small sub-pavillion for her own set of maids and servants.

During the walk to the said pavilion, Sooyoung said nothing, but she held Taeyeon's arm tight.

"Is--everything alright, Agassi?"

Sooyoung only mumbled as an answer.

Sensing her young mistress didn't want any conversations, Taeyeon didn't push, and only held her hand until they arrived at the pavilion.