Track Twenty-One: The Truth Is A Terrible Thing.

|Track Twenty-One: The Truth Is A Terrible Thing.|

Adalyn.

Adalyn scratched behind Salem’s ears as she hummed along to Artist Vs. Poet’s “Unconscious Reality.” Salem purred as she rolled over onto her side. Adalyn grinned and kissed the top of Salem’s head before she stopped scratching and clambered off of her bed. She headed off to her bathroom and quickly did her nightly routine (washing her face, brushing her teeth, etc.).

When she came back she sat on her bed to scratch behind Salem’s ears again only to be interrupted by a light knock on her window. She turned toward it, but saw nothing. She continued scratching behind Salem’s ears only to hear the noise again. It became a repetitive ticking noise, almost like a pebble or an acorn tapping against the glass.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Adalyn frowned as she stood from her bed again and advanced toward the window cautiously. Another tap resounded against the window as Adalyn stood before it. She leaned forward, pressing her face to the glass as she squinted to look outside. Another tap hit the window again and she backed away from the window surprised.

She pressed her face against the window again, this time glaring out of the window at whatever she couldn’t see. She let out a surprised shriek when Ashton’s face suddenly appeared before hers. She stumbled back and fell on her butt as she stared at Ashton’s grinning face wide eyed.

It took her a moment to collect herself again and realize what had just happened. She glared at Ashton and stuck her tongue out at him immaturely. Ashton pointed to the inside of her bedroom and mouthed the words, “Can I come in?”

She shook her head and mouthed back, “No.”

“Adalyn? Dear, is everything alright over there?” Adalyn heard her mother asked from down the hall.

Adalyn’s face twisted from playful anger to utter guilt. She felt like she had been caught doing something wrong. She felt like a kid again. She almost felt the same exact way from when she and Ashton got caught stealing cookies from the cookie jar before dinner. She looked over her shoulder, and even though her mother wasn’t there, she wanted to make sure that her ears weren’t playing any tricks on her.

“No Mom, everything’s fine. I just saw a really big spider.”

“Then what was that thump I heard?” Her mother sounded closer, almost like she was right outside of Adalyn’s door.

Adalyn gulped as she turned back to Ashton. He gave her a bewildered expression. She shook her head and gestured for him to get down or hide or something. His eyebrows scrunched together even more as he stared at her. He shrugged and disappeared from view slithering his way beneath the window sill.

Adalyn let out a sigh of relief just as her mother stepped into her bedroom, a thick plush blanket wrapped securely around her athletic figure. “Are you alright Adalyn?”

Adalyn turned to look back at her mother again. “Yeah, like I said Mom, it was just a spider. I fell on my butt when I tried to get away from it.”

“Oh okay.” She came closer to Adalyn and planted a gentle kiss on her daughter’s forehead. “Good night dear. Love you.”

Adalyn smiled and kissed her mother on the cheek. “Love you more Mom.”

Before Adalyn’s mother closed the door fully she called over her shoulder, “Love you most sweetheart.”

The door clicked shut behind her shortly after. Adalyn sat on the floor and counted to thirty before she stood up and dusted herself off. She tiptoed toward the window and pushed it open, finding Ashton curled uncomfortably beneath the window sill.