Chapter Two: Old Life, New Life

"I hadn't thought it was possible to feel so unraveled. Until that moment came, I was perfectly ready to walk down that aisle, to become the Dark Princess, Phoenix's wife for all time. But when I realized that I was already the Dark Princess, Cove's wife, I knew that I could never go through with it. I couldn't go through with anything, and so I found myself running away, yet again, to the mortal realm. A last ditch effort to try and forget the truth of who I am and where I came from."

I told her that the moment I remembered, and I saw my black faery wings, the realization that I, too, was a faery, all came hurling itself back at me. That I had to escape to the mortal world. I knew I couldn't go through with marrying Phoenix when I knew I was already married to Cove.

"How could I, Anna? How could I do that too him or, them? Either of them? I couldn't. I just couldn't." I hung my head, heavy with shame.

"How long have you been having nightmares?" she asked.

"Every night. Well, except for last night. But I think that's just because I was so tired and upset already." I reasoned, but still, it did strike me as odd. There were plenty of times that I felt tired planning the wedding and still the nightmares came.

"How long?" she repeated, stressing her words.

"Since the night Phoenix proposed, a few months ago." I shrugged. I didn't know why it mattered how long I had been having the nightmares.

She eyed me closely, inching towards my face. "Did you have sex with Phoenix that night in his faery form?"

"Isn't he always in his faery form?" I asked, deflecting the question.

"Could you see his wings?" She practically yelled at me.

The infliction in her voice made me jump. "Yes." I blurted out and then blushed heavily.

Remembering that night, the first night Phoenix and I made love, a deep crimson blush had set in, and I wrapped my hands over my stomach relishing the warm tingle residing there.

"Coral," Anna's voice was soothing now. I looked at her, there was a small smile formed on her lips but her eyes looked worried.

"Honey, you aren't just sick about what happened." She moved her hand lightly pressing her fingertips against my abdomen. "Princess, you're pregnant."

Anna had spent most of that first day back with me. She hadn't been very chatty after she told me I was pregnant. I tried to figure out what it meant. Silently, we sat there on my couch, both lost in our own thoughts. Or maybe she was listening to mine, I really don't know. I didn't care.

She may have told me I was pregnant, and being a witch she had a very old and powerful magick, but still... I had my doubts. I mean, C'mon, right? I had just gotten back to the mortal realm. I haven't even been here long enough to have had a chance to miss my period yet. And yet...

All I could think was, our baby. Our? Baby?

Anna got up a few times to bring me water or get a cold cloth for my forehead after being sick. I spent the time I had away from the bathroom sitting comfortably on the couch with Anna thinking about my love and our beautiful Faerie child to be.

Late into the evening she rose from her spot on the couch, bade me to go to bed and like a child, she followed me into my room handing me a pair of clean pajamas from my dresser and pushed me into the bathroom to change, wash up.

"Don't forget to brush your teeth!" She hollered at me through the door.

"Okay, okay. I'll brush my teeth. Sorry. I have been throwing up most of the day, you know?" I took out my toothbrush and the paste from the cabinet in my mirrored vanity above the sink and proceeded to squirt out a giant gob onto the bristles.