Chapter 24

Sonic's P.O.V.
"Shadow?!" I shouted in disbelief as I saw Shadow walk away from the explosion, he was skinnier, his fur was torn, his movements were like a robot's, his eyes showed no emotions. Not a single one.

His ear flickered when he heard me, he turned his head and faced me, I didn't know if he was looking at me or glaring at me. I hesitantly walked towards him.

"Blue! I got everyone in a safe-" Rouge stopped and gasped when she saw him. "Shadow...?"

He noticed me walking closer and dashed to me then grabbed me by the neck. Why does it hurt so much...?

"Sh-Shad...ow... I-it's m-me..." I gasped for air and tried to free myself from his grip.

"Sonic!" Shadow's ears perked up when Rouge shouted my name, she ran to Shadow and kicked him away, her ears dropped when she saw that he was wearing G.U.N.'s jacket.

Shadow growled lowly and looked at Rouge then let go of my neck and punched her.

"Shadow! Where were you all this time?! I was waiting for you for a year!!" I started shouting at Shadow as tears appeared in my eyes. "Were you lying all this time?!"

Shadow stopped fighting with Rouge and looked at me then crossed. "Who are you?" 

I pinned my ears down as I felt my body slowly and painfully going numb. "I-I'm Sonic... Sonic the Hedgehog..." I said lowly. "Your boyfriend..."

He scoffed and glared at me. "I don't have a boyfriend. I wasn't meant for love." He voice didn't change. He was acting like a robot. It scared me. "I was created to kill."

"No! No, that's not why you were created!" I shouted, trying to look tough, but I was slowly breaking down. "You were created to save lives! To save Maria! Remember?!"

"...I failed to save her..." Shadow mumbled, breaking the character and lowered his ears slightly. "She died..."

"You didn't fail. I'm sure she enjoyed every moment she had with you. She saved you so you can do the same with the people here..." I said softly as I sobbed. "Why do you think you're so powerful? So you can protect the ones you care about..."

Shadow looked at me with a straight face, but his eyes showed that he was hurt.

He cares a lot about Maria... I'm jealous of her...

"Don't do this Shadow, remember what Maria told you..." I slowly moved closer to him. "I promise you won't regret it..."

Shadow flinched lightly when I took a step closer and took a step back, Rouge was just looking at us in silence, shocked that Shadow was acting like this.

"Agent Shadow. Do you copy?" Shadow's communicator broke the silence and made Shadow snap out of his thoughts. Before he could answer, I grabbed his arm and took the communicator.

"You're not going back to them! They killed Maria!" I held it tightly behind me and flinched when he raised his fist.

"Don't touch me, Faker!" He growled lowly and glared at me.

"Agent Shadow. Report." My ear flickered when I recognized the voice, it was the commander. "You have another mission."

I growled when I saw Shadow trying to get the communicator back, making him take his hand away. "They're using you, Shadow. Why can't you understand? Shy did you go back to them?!" I snapped at him. "Why didn't you tell me that you were going to leave for so long?!"

"I didn't-" He lowered his ears and tried to talk, but I cut him off.

"Why did you use me like that?! I should've known that you were lying! That you were just to-"

"STOP!" Shadow growled and held his head in pain. "Stop talking!" He closed his eyes tightly and let out some tears out.

Rouge grabbed the communicator from my hand and growled. "This is Agent Rouge. What did you do to Shadow?!"

"What he deserved. Tell Agent Shadow to come back to G.U.N. Headquarters." I pinned my ears down and looked at Shadow who was on his knees and sobbing.

I slowly walked to Shadow and knelt beside him  "Shadow... What did they do to you...?" I asked lowly.

"I didn't... Leave you... Th-they kidnapped me... And tortured me... T-to the point where I couldn't think straight..." He started shaking. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

I felt horrible. I accused him of leaving me all these months, while he was living literal hell. "No, Shadow. Don't be." I rubbed his back, making him flinch and hissed loudly.

I quickly pulled my hand away and kept my ears pinned down. "Let's go to Tails' house. He can help us."

"N-no. I m-must go back t-to G-G.U.N." Shadow stood up, his legs still shaking lightly.

"Don't mind those idiots." Rouge said as she destroyed the communicator. "I can't believe I work for them." She said in disgust. "Let's go, Hun, you can trust us. We won't hurt you in any way."

Shadow looked at Rouge, probably trying to remember her, then slowly nodded. "I... Trust you..."