V1 C16 P2

“Where is this place?” Feng Ming suddenly felt very unsettled, he was still standing behind Rong Tian and with the sight presented before him his legs were hesitant to march down the eerie hallway. He was soft spoken but his voice managed to echo down the narrow and confined corridor

“Don’t make a fuss, just follow me.”

Both men remained silent, venturing deeper into the mysterious path. One lead and one followed obediently after 5 to 6 minutes they finally halted.

They had reached the end of the corridor where a small door sat.  The metal details on the door had long lost their metallic lustre by the aging of countless months and years. The main highlight of the rustic relic was a large cast iron padlock which had turned slightly green from erosion.

Feng Ming’s heart started to race as he couldn’t refrain from associating this situation with the television shows about Ancient martial arts sects, where each usually held a dark and forbidden secret only the disciples were privileged to learn.

A shiver ran down his spine, as gloomy thoughts circled his mind.

It couldn’t be that the King isn’t in acoma and instead Rong Tian has imprisoned him in here!?

Over the past months he had gradually developed good feelings towards the Regent King, at least managing to get along. His impression of Rong Tian had progressively shifted to a positive light. Regardless of their development, deep down inside Feng Ming knew a malevolent beast resided inside Rong Tian. He had witnessed it awaken several times when the Regent King handled matters. On occasion the man’s resolve was vicious and merciless, driven not yield to others nor offer any kindness. It was possible that he would rebel against   his superior and commit treason without a blink of his eyes.  

The Prince’s heart was hammering hard against his chest.

There was a chance that this was the scheme of treacherous officials conspiring to overthrow the current King, to seize the throne out of greed or discontent.

As he pondered over the possibilities, there were flaws which remained perplexing. Especially, why was Feng Ming brought here by Rong Tian?   

Although he was speculating, the thought about being entangled into such terrible traitorous conspiracies within the Palace sent more chills over his body.

Their surrounding was smothered by a deadly silence and there was no trace of guard footprints or any disturbances on the dusty floor.

Rong Wang’s face was determined, he reached into his bosom and drew out a key, steadily clicking the metal in place and turning it firmly to unlock the padlock. Removing the rusty metal, he pushed the heavy iron reinforced door open, revealing a steep and dark staircase.

A rush of cold wind blew up from the staircase and assaulted Feng Ming’s senses. Even his mink cape couldn’t prevent the chill from seeping in, the cold air were like tendrils lashing at them. The Prince shivered against the icy breeze. 

“Why are your hands so cold? This staircase will lead to is a secret chamber that is underground, there is a large harbour of ice, make sure you don’t catch a cold.”

Rong Tian had turned around to face Feng Ming, grabbing hold of one of the boy’s frost bitten hands he carefully lead him step by step down the stone stairway.

Eventually they reached the end of the stairwell, and entered a completely different world. As if they walked into a fairy tale of a Crystal Palace made of ice. The temperature inside the cavity was beyond freezing but the beauty of the translucent ice walls gave a feeling of ethereal magic.