Chapter 66: Red Flag

Sunday.

Caitlin woke far earlier than she wanted to the following morning. She lay there for a little while tossing and turning, but too many different things were going through her mind.

It had been far too easy to talk to Seb this weekend. Yesterday evening had been fun, laughing and joking around with him; when he dropped her off she'd practically had to run from the car to prevent herself doing anything she'd regret. She had expected to feel angrier than she really did.

Caitlin let out a long loud sigh. The room was hot, too hot. She placed the back of her arm on her forehead, in an attempt to cool her down.

When she still couldn't drift back to sleep, Caitlin leant towards the wall by the bed and flicked the bedside light on with her index finger. She turned her pillow over to get the cool fabric on her face, and stuck one leg out of the duvet.

She tossed and turned for a few moments more, before grappling about for her phone from under her pillow.

CAITLIN: Are you awake?

She stared wildly at her screen for a few moments. It didn't take long for the reply to come.

CHARLOTTE: Of course I'm awake. I've got a 4 pound bowling ball sellotaped to the front of my stomach, what on earth makes you think I'm asleep?

With a laugh, Caitlin propped herself up against the pillows behind her and dialled Charlotte's number.

"More to the point, why are you awake?" was Charlotte's greeting after just two rings.

"I think I had one wine too many before I went to bed-"

"Cait it was a Saturday night!!" scolded Charlotte.

"I knoooow. And this room is too hot."

"Are you sure the room doesn't feel hot because you're hungover? Or still pissed?"

"Shut up," laughed Caitlin, kicking the duvet even further away in an attempt to cool down. "So tell me your news."

"Oh not much, we spent last week decorating the spare room in my flat, good it's tiny, I've no idea how long three of us can live in this poky apartment!"

"Antti was in London over the summer? He's moving in?"

"No, erm..."

"And how's the baby? Everything ok?"

"Yep. Had another scan last week... baby is fine, although apparently he's upside down. I'm definitely not allowed to globe-trot anymore though, or be anywhere near a pit lane. Which sucks."

"Yeh well, that's just aswell. I don't think the whole paddock wants to see you and Antti prancing around the garage with you 4 pound bowling ball!!"

Caitlin was laughing, but in a very serious, firm voice, Charlotte interrupted her.

"No, Caitlin no. Stop. Me and Antti, we're not ..."

Caitlin stopped laughing.

"I meant Jon," said Charlotte quietly.

Caitlin sat stock still, soaking in this new information, before suddenly squealing an energetic "Wwhhhaaaaaattt?!?!"

"Yeh. With me and Antti it wasn't ... we were forcing it. So we agreed it didn't make sense. And then Jon was in London over summer, and everything just clicked into place."

"Oh my god Char!! So, is this official now?"

"I think so yeh. I mean Antti will still help out and stuff."