And his car was the same as he was. The passenger seat floorboard was free of debris, but the back seat held various fast food trash and clothes.

"Don't mind the mess," he had stated, and I just brushed it off as a fluke, something that could easily be fixed. But if this was actually how Jeremy was, then we wouldn't work--ever, at all.

I needed someone to not only believe in my goals, dreams, and ambitions, but also someone that actively helped me achieve them. I needed someone equally as tidy as me, as well, as clutter made me anxious.

And he was one humongous walking red flag.

When the waitress came to our table and asked if the check was together or separate, I was quick to say, "Separate," and she smiled as she pulled out my check.

I already had my card out and handed it to her as Jeremy fished out a ten-dollar bill from his wallet and put it in her hand.

"I was going to pay for you," he told me, but I just forced a smile.

"It's fine. I don't mind going dutch."

If I was being completely honest, I didn't want him to have anything over me, not even a six dollar salad.

***

When we pulled up into the parking garage, I quickly got out and made my way to the exit. I didn't want Jeremy to get any ideas about kissing me or anything.

I would go home alone tonight and drink a glass of wine before going to bed. This would be my punishment for thinking about anything other than working.

I specifically said no men, no friends, and yet here I was with my feelings hurt over Dominic's unexpected girlfriend, and a sloppy Jeremy who, sadly, was going to be my rebound.

'What better way to get over someone than to get under someone else?'

Well, there would be no one else, not even him.

'Let's hope you keep to your word, because you still have to answer to him when you get up to his office...'

Jeremy caught up to me, taking me from my thoughts, as I reached the sidewalk and began walking towards the building. When we were a few paces from the door, he jogged ahead and opened it for me.

'Look at his puppy dog face--the face you use to find attractive.'

Now, I can only see the specs of dried ketchup around his mouth.

When we walked in, we saw Jasmine and Dominic at the elevator, obviously waiting. We walked towards them just as the door opened and we all got inside.

I felt a little claustrophobic as I was in front of Dominic now.

"How was lunch, Jeremy," Jasmine asked, apparently knowing him well enough to be on a first-name basis with him.

Jeremy looked at me with a smile and grabbed my hand, squeezing it gently.

"It was very good. I think we learned a lot about each other."

I nodded my head with a forced smile.

I had learned a lot about him and I decided I didn't want to know anymore. I didn't want to be rude and pull my hand away so I held his as he wasn't letting go.

The elevator stopped at his floor and when he was out into the hallway, he pulled my hand up to his lips and placed a kiss to my knuckles.

"See you later, Gen. Have a wonderful afternoon, Jasmine, Mr. Blackstone."

I heard the rumble of Dominic's chest as he mumbled out a farewell. The elevator wasn't very big so I was only about two feet away from him and I could feel the tension in the air.

I could feel the fury radiating off him in waves, crashing into me.

"So, you and Jeremy, huh," I heard Jasmine ask and I turned around slightly.

"Uh, no. We're just friends," and I didn't even want to be that now.

She smirked, "That didn't look like just friends, right babe," we both then turned to catch Dominic's reaction.

He looked down into my eyes for a second and my insides churned. His caramel-colored eyes were at a roaring boil and, apparently, only I could feel their heat.

"Mmm," he hummed and looked forward again, not really giving a yes or no answer.

'Man, if looks could punish...'

I turned back around and squished my self as close to the wall as I could and when the elevator stopped at Jasmine's floor, she grabbed his hand and drug him to the front, standing right beside me. She planted a hard kiss to his mouth and he pulled away.

"Not in front of my employees, Jasmine," he scolded her as he pulled a handkerchief out of his breast pocket and wiped the red lipstick she smeared on his mouth away.

"Sorry, babe," she smiled, cleaning up her mouth and walked out, but she turned on her heels and placed her hand against the closing doors.

"You coming over tonight? I've missed your touch dearly."

I knew the look she gave him. It was lust, the same look I had given him so many times.

"Not tonight. I've got lots of contracts to go over so it's going to be a late night. I'll see you tomorrow," he left nothing up for negotiation.

"But baby," she whined and I winced at the pet name, but she continued as she hadn't seen me, "I haven't seen you since two Saturdays ago and I miss you."

She ran a fingernail down the buttons of his shirt and then grabbed his tie and pulled him closer.

"I need you," I saw her whisper into his lips and I was sure that I was about to throw up.

I took a few steps back, pressing my back up against the wall to get away from the pathetic need that was radiating off of her and onto him.

"I said no, Jasmine. Now get to work," he removed her hand from the door and allowed it to close. I couldn't help but relish in the look of shock and rejection on her face.

When the doors shut, he ran a hand through his short hair and sighed, his back still to me.