Untitled Part 23

Early in the morning, Captain Seth Vanderson sat in his office working through his paperwork and seeing the multiple messages from the mayor. He needed closure on the mysterious Jane Doe and The Electrician, among other things. He'd been a very busy man over the last week or so. Today, he'd get back with the mayor on the phone and give an update.

As he looked at his paperwork that seemed to only get deeper and deeper these days, his secretary entered the office with a small padded envelope. "The courier just dropped this off, Sir."

"It's only seven a.m. What in tar-nation is a courier out at this hour for?" He asked as he took the offered package from her.

"I--I don't know, Sir."

"I'm not angry, Penny. I'm just..." he sighed, "never-mind. I'm glad you were here to accept this today. Thank you." He smiled at his secretary. He waited until she left his office to open it, as usual. The same marking in the bottom corner of the address label put him on edge. He didn't really have time for a meeting, but what could he do? He had to meet, and checking his schedule, he could fit something in and rearrange other things, he thought, as he opened the envelope. In it was a matinee ticket to the dollar movie theater. One of his favorite older films from his younger years was playing. That meant this person he'd be meeting was possibly near the same age as him. The only clue he'd had in months. But Seth wasn't keeping up on the clues to the identity of the person who supposedly had his hands in the city's pockets, "helping" the police, as it were. At this point, he just wanted his niece safe, which lead to better news for his sister, Patti.

Sally's idea of delivering Kristin's bags early was a really good idea too. He'd help Heath himself load her things into the back of his car when it was time to leave. Seth took a deep, cleansing breath and closed his eyes as he readied himself for the day. One of the last things he thought was the movie fit into his schedule, and that it had better be as funny as he remembered it to be.

*****

"I know. Yes, we'll be ready at three, Sir." Sally said into the phone.  "Do you insist on treating all your subordinates as naughty children? It's getting old." Sally immediately regretted her choice of words and scrunched her nose. "I'm sorry. I have a lot to think about right now. I know better." She felt only a tiny bit better cutting off any reprimand she could get. Today she was grateful that she was raised with brothers. Brothers who teased her so bad she was required to think quickly. Now was one of those moments.

"Okay. I'll keep you posted." She listened some more. "Thank you, Sir." she said before ending the call.

"I wish work would leave me alone when I have the day off." She said as Kristen shot her a questioning look as she entered the living room. "I'll need a vacation after this to make up for all the working I've done." She tried to laugh, but only felt exhausted. She had been up way too late last night trying to think things through that had happened before she had retired last night.

"It's going to be a long day, isn't it?" Kristin asked. "And there's nothing we can do about it, is there?"

Sally bunched her lips together and squinted at Kristin. "I'll be back in twenty minutes!" She announced. "You're not lactose intolerant, are you?"

"No, why?"

"Don't go anywhere. I'll be right back."

It was the longest twenty minutes of the day so far, but so far, she hadn't been tempted to leave. When Sally burst into the living room after only thirty minutes, she was late, she had a second person with her. Someone who Kristin had never met. And a couple of reusable grocery bags. He was carrying an empty box, big enough "for your bags, Kristin." She said. "I don't want anyone getting any ideas when you go, because Jerry will undoubtedly try to get the down low today. Too many people will come and go, including you, for him not to notice."