Untitled Part 19

"Oh, I just can't wait to see you soon, Heath, dear," Kathleen Johnston said over the phone. "I'll get everything ready for you before you get here, but I still don't understand why you won't let me pick you up from the airport this time. It's such a long drive."

"I know, Gramma." Heath said into the phone. Like I said before, I have to drive because I'm bringing someone to start summer semester at the college. She hates flying and I agreed to drive her."

"Oohhh!" Kathleen's voice sing-songed. "I see now. You need some extra time with your lady friend!" He could imagine his grandmother jabbing him in the side with her elbow.

"It's not like that, Gramma!" He tried to correct her, but knowing his grandmother, she had made up her mind already and wanted to meet his latest girlfriend.

"You keep telling yourself that, Heath. Grandmothers know these things." She snickered into the phone.

"She just needed a ride and my boss gave me time off so I could come see you and it worked out just right." He murmured into the phone. "You've been saying that for at least four years now, and much to your disappointment, nothing has ever panned out."

"Well," Kathleen started, "I just want you to know that being an optimist is not a horrible thing, and you're the oldest grandchild."

"Next you're going to tell me you want me to make you a great-grandmother, aren't you?" Heath groaned. "Gramma, it's really not like that!"

"Sure, Heath, sure." She said, goading him. "Just let me know when you and your friend will be here the semester starts in just a few weeks."

"Thanks, Gramma." He was sure he could hear her wink over the phone. "I'll let her know she's got somewhere to stay before she gets settled."

Heath ended the phone call with his grandmother and phoned Captain Vanderson to let him know of the exchange. The captain was pleased even that Heath went as far as he did to ensure his niece had a place to stay. He told him he'd make sure his grandmother was properly compensated.

*****

"Okay, we'll see you then," Sally said as she ended the phone call. It wasn't out of place for her boss to come by her apartment. After all, almost the whole complex knew where she worked and some of the residents had told her before that they felt safer knowing a law enforcement officer was living among them. No matter how much she tried to convince them, she knew they'd never give up that detective is different from uniform.

"Who's coming over?"Kristin asked.

She heard the nerves in her voice. "Captain Vanderson is bringing takeout for dinner."

Visibly relieved, Kristin rubbed her face with both her hands. She hadn't felt like going swimming since she woke up after the movie, and the hat had stayed on her head quite well as she slept. "Do you need to keep this hat, Sally?" She asked, pulling it off her new short hair-do and turning it around in her hands. "It's perfect for...company." She nearly smiled a half-smile.

She turned and poked her head out of the kitchen. "Oh, that?" Sally asked back. "No, I don't need it. You keep it. It makes my head look funny."

Kristin couldn't figure it out. She'd witnessed Sally be more kind and generous and thoughtful than she'd ever seen anyone. And never once had she asked for any kind of compensation in return. It wasn't normal. Surely she had to have some kind of motive. Someone somewhere was counting her deeds and getting something in return. "Sally?" she said. "I have a question."

"What is it?"

"I've noticed that you're probably the kindest person I've ever met. You brought me clothes, bought me toiletries, given me shelter, and so many other things. Is there anyone you don't like, or is there someone keeping track of these things for you? You've never asked for any kind of compensation and I'm sure the department can't pay you back for all your good deeds." Kristin was sitting on one of the bar stools at the breakfast counter now.