Chapter 26

Getting Lucy and I home was easier than originally getting here to find Jaya since we weren't being rushed and there weren't people trying to kill us.

"Are you sure you'll be alright? You know where to go now?" I picked Jaya up in my arms and looked at her sweet face. She looked so much like my mother it was unreal. She has her fire for sure, something my father will both love and hate.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. You and Lucy need to go. I'll see you soon, brother." She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tight. Hugging her back, I knew that I'd do anything for her. She was my family and something clicked in my mind.

Have you ever thought of something that makes you think of something else, causing you to come to a conclusion you didn't even know you were looking for? Holding Jaya in my arms made me realize that I wasn't afraid to have my own children. Until now, I was afraid of giving myself to Lucy fully because I didn't want to have kids. Jaya gave me back my confidence to know that I'd be perfectly fine if I had kids.

I hugged Jaya a bit tighter and she made a wheezing sound like I was squeezing her too tight. "Alem, toooo tiiight," She wheezed out and I couldn't help but laugh. I set her down on the ground and she ran over to Lucy, jumping into her arms.

"Thank you for this, Jaya," Lucy said to her so quietly that I almost didn't catch the exchange. Jaya smiled at her and reaffirmed that all of this really was going to be alright.

"Will you remember us when you're born?" Lucy's voice was shaky, like she'd never see Jaya again. I knew they had a connection that wouldn't stop today. I walked towards Lucy, taking her in my arms.

"I have no doubt that you will have a great relationship, no matter if she remembers you or if you have to start a new relationship. You both will have plenty of time to form a great friendship. I love you, little sis but Lucy, we really have to go."

Walking away from Jaya, we made our way back into the forest where we'd first come from. Lucy and I walked hand in hand not saying a word. I knew she was thinking about something and the only reason I didn't actually know what she was thinking was because I was too afraid to look. It was a good sign that she was actually holding my hand but my fear was that she didn't actually want kids with me now that I did.

Seeing Lucy holding Jaya made me think of my parents, specifically the relationship my father and I had. I can tell him anything and he never judges me. He guides me when I need it and the relationship he and my mother have is something I want with Lucy. They have made it through so much and been through hell just to stay together.

I'd go through hell for Lucy and having been through our own mini battle, I knew I'd die for her. I stopped walking and I tugged on her hand to make her stop. She looked at me and frowned unsure what I was doing.

"Lucy?" My voice was shaky and she turned to look at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah?"

"Marry me.” I think part of me was more shocked than she was. I knew I wanted to be with her forever but this wasn't romantic in any way. I knew she was going to say no. I would if I was in her position. I'd want romance and some thought behind it, not an offer after we'd just been in a fight with a woman I'd slept with.

Man I was dumb.

You don't know what you have until it's gone. Looking down at my sexy, loving and perfect wife screaming in pain was more than I could take.

'Alem, you better hurry up and get back here. You're mother won't make it much longer and I won't take seeing her in this kind of pain for much longer.'

"I'm here dad, we're here." I spun around to see Lucy and Alem walk into the room, smiles huge on their faces. Alem looked right at me and then Larissa screamed, making his focus shift from me to her.

"What's happening? Why isn't she better now? We saved Jaya." Alem's voice was full of panic and I knew something was wrong. I knelt beside Larissa and held her head close to mine.

"Baby, can you hear me?" Her eyes were closed so tight that I knew the pain was more than she could take.

"Lucy, can you reach her? Can you take her pain away? Can you do something for her?" I was frantic. I couldn't lose her now that we were so close to all of this being over. Dammit, we deserved to be happy.

"I don't know. I can try. You have to give me a few minutes to look through my books."

"She doesn't have a few minutes. Can you help her or not," I snapped at her and instantly regretted it. "I'm sorry. It's not your fault. Please just try to help her. It's been getting worse while you were gone and I hoped that you coming back would make all of this pain stop. Please, just do something. Anything." Tears filled my eyes and I felt like my world was ending.

"Eric?" Larissa said my name and I felt my insides jump with excitement.

"Baby, I'm here. Are you okay?"

"Eric, the baby is coming. I can feel her coming. It's too early though. Eric don't let her die now. She can't die after we've all been through so much to get her here."

"Love, I promise you I won't let her die. You can't think about the bad. She is going to be just fine." Looking around I thought about what my next move should be. "Alem, get some towels and Lucy, please get some warm water."

They left the room and this was my chance to talk to Larissa alone. "Baby, please don't leave me. Please don't give up. Jaya will be here soon and this will all be over."

"I love you, Eric and there's nothing that could ever make me leave you. Now please just get her out of me. I can't take this pain anymore. I'm so tired."

"Do you feel like you need to push?"

"Yes, actually I think I can." I helped her readjust her position and she took a deep breath. "Let's do this." She put her game face on and pushed with all her might.

Six hours and many painful hand squeezes later, Jaya was born. She was perfect, magically full term and healthy.

"Can I hold her, please?" I asked Larissa as she kissed Jaya's forehead. She looked down at the small little bundle in her arms and just smiled. They looked so much alike and I was thrilled that we finally had our complete little family.

"Complete?" Larissa asked me with shock.

"Yeah, complete. I'm not doing that again. You have no idea how stressful it is to watch you go through labor. I've done it twice and I just can't do it again, Larissa. Please."

"I want at least one more, Eric." My world stopped moving and I knew I'd give her a hundred more children if that's what she wanted. Rolling my eyes and smiling big at my amazingly perfect wife, I just asked to hold Jaya again.

"Hey sweet girl," I cooed down at my perfect little girl. She was exactly like I'd dreamed she'd be and then so much more. Her eyes were the same shade as her mothers and taking a second look, she had my hair and nose. She wiggled in my arms and opened her eyes, suddenly looking right at me. She stretched but as she did she reached for me and her soft little hand grazed my cheek. Love filled me instantly and the overwhelming feeling caused me to gasp.

"What is it?" Larissa asked me, clearly worried.

"She knows me. She touched me and I felt love." I smiled down at Jaya and kissed her forehead. "I love you too, baby girl."

"It looks like both of our kids will have an extra something special to offer."

"All of our kids. We aren't stopping now. I want more, lots more." Because of my earlier freak out saying I don't want more kids, they all laughed at me.

"You have it bad, dad," Alem laughed at me and his mood suddenly spiked. He was nervous about talking about kids. I turned and looked at him with one raised eyebrow.

"Something to add, son?" Alem shifted slightly and grabbed Lucy's hand. They looked at each other, clearly speaking in their minds and the look on Lucy's face suddenly said it all

"I guess now is as good a time as any. I asked Lucy to marry me and she said yes."