Chapter 60

LOKI'S POV

"Loki, you still there?" Steve asks through the comm. I grit my teeth and stab another alien through the head. How messy.

"I am, Captain, but you're about to lose nineteen soldiers," I reply, approaching another few warriors. "It takes too much energy to keep the clones fighting."

"That's fine, just stay alert!" I take a deep breath and bring all of the clones back, channeling all of my energy into my current fight. We're outnumbered, though.

"They keep coming!" Romanoff says angrily. "What's the plan? Please tell me you boys have a plan other than punching?"

"There's too many of them!" Bruce screams, finally being overpowered. If he was the Hulk, the sides would be much more even. "AAAAAAHHHHH!"

Out of nowhere, a rainbow-light beam appears from the sky. All fighting pauses to watch this change of events. My pulse quickens as I realize what it is. A large axe wreathed in lightning races across the battlefield, taking out many of Thanos' warriors. Stormbreaker. The weapon of a king. The light disappears, revealing a raccoon, a tree-creature, and my idiot brother, who is very much alive.

"THOR!" I shout, pumping my knife in the air.

"Aha! You guys are so screwed now!" Bruce yells.

"BRING...ME...THANOS!" Thor roars, running into the fray. Lighting leaps off of him, effectively taking out anyone in a wide radius.

I laugh out loud. He's going to have to get in line.

—————

"Nice to see you again, brother!" Thor yells, electrocuting a few more aliens as we take a breather from the fight.

"Let us have a proper reunion later. Now is not the time," I remind him.

"Good idea, Loki."

"You cut your hair," I say, surprised. My brother loves his flowing locks almost as much as I love my own. My wife calls me a peacock for it.

"I did. You look exactly the same. Is Eliza here?" I toss a knife into an incoming alien casually before responding.

"Thank goodness, no. She's still in New York." I throw a few more daggers, and more fall to the ground, allowing us to continue our conversation. "You missed the wedding."

"I WHAT?"

"Yes, you were busy killing our sister on Asgard and galavanting around with Banner to attend the ceremony."

"Brother, I was supposed to be your best man!"

"Well, after I rescued her, we didn't feel like waiting for your slow self," I say, smirking. "It's been a year, but it's good to see you. I believed you dead."

"It seems we will need to catch up on quite a bit after this battle is won. By the way, this is a friend of mine, Tree," he says, gesturing to the tree-like creature. It skewers multiple enemies in one go. I like it already.

"I... am... Groot!" It screams, waving its arms.

I nod, bowing a little. "I am Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose!"

The air picks up around us. Something about it feels odd... wrong. Thor immediately flies off towards the trees. I teleport and land next to Steve, who doesn't seem at all surprised by presence.

"Everyone on my position. We've got incoming." He glances behind me, and I realize we are not alone. Romanoff, Wilson, Okoye, and T'Challa all join us. Familiar blackish-blue clouds form into a portal, revealing Thanos. My stomach lurches as I catch sight of the green stone in the gauntlet. Oh gods. Fear and anger curl inside of me, and I don't let them go. In the past, my rage has served me well. I trust it.

"Cap, that's him," Banner says. My fingers tighten around my daggers, and my eyes narrow.

"Eyes up," Steve tells us. "Stay sharp."

Bruce goes for Thanos first but is easily blasted backward into a mountain, where he is frozen in place. Steve runs but doesn't even get a chance to attack. Purple energy sends him flying. Thanos chokes T'Challa to the ground and causes Wilson's suit to malfunction. It's just me and him. Just like I wanted.

"Where did you get that?" I growl, not caring to elaborate.

"Half of the universe will still be alive, Asgardian. You will be lucky if she is one of them." This sends me into a flurry of rage, angrier than I've been in years. Even with four stones, I hold out relatively well, even stabbing his shoulder before he grabs me by the throat and slams me against a tree. Everything goes sideways as I groan on the ground.

This is it. This is where I die. Thanos leans over me, a smirk on his revolting face. "I know understand how you found each other. You are both weak." And he leaves, just like that. I get up as fast as I'm able, glancing over my shoulder. He's heading for Wanda and Vision, for the Mind Stone. The last one.

Those of us remaining do our best to stall him, but we don't stand a chance. For my efforts, I get slammed against a mountain and magically surrounded by rock. I slump down, completely drained. I can't do anything except struggle and pray that someone has the ability to stop him before it's too late.

After a few minutes, I gather enough energy to break my stone bonds and cautiously walk towards Barnes and Steve, the first faces I find. They seem equally relieved to see me, until Barnes mutters, "Steve?" and disintegrates into dust. His gun drops to the ground. No.

He did it.

Half of the universe will be gone in the next few seconds.

"Thor?" I yell. He did it. He really did it. "Thor!" I run as fast as I can, just searching. Please no. Not him.

"Loki!" His gruff voice shouts from somewhere in the forest. I take off towards him, desperate to see that he's all right. I don't trust anything unless I see it with my own two eyes. I trip over something. Cursing, I glance down to see what it is. My jade eyes widen at the sight.

The Vision's corpse. Colorless, dead, stone plucked right from his forehead. Bile fills my mouth, but I continue on. He's gone. I need to find those who aren't.

"Loki!" Thor drops the axe and pulls me into a tight hug. I wince, still not appreciating his contact but allowing it to happen. "You're alive."

"Yes."

Steve approaches us, breathing heavily. "Where'd he go?"

One chapter left to go!