Chapter 49

LOKI'S POV

"No!" I scream as Eliza hits the ground. I rush to her instantly, throwing my weapons aside as I cradle her limp body into my arms. "Please no, no, no, come on, love." She's alive, I can feel a thin strain of magic running through her veins, but if we don't do something, she won't be. "Don't leave me," I plead.

"What do we do?" Bruce asks, crouching down next to me, frantic concerned flitting across his face.

"You're the doctor, why don't you tell me!" I hiss, running my hand through her hair in an attempt to calm myself down. It doesn't work, not in the slightest. That's how she calms me down, but the other way around. "I can try to heal her, but my powers are limited and I need to know the best place to start!"

"Um, right." He checks her pulse and tries to examine her as quickly as possible. I just stare helplessly at her, my sol, beautiful eyes shut. What if they never open again? I heal a cut on her lip. Thanos was right: this is my worst nightmare, and it's coming true. The rage building up inside me completely dominates any fear I've ever felt for the titan. Once I save her, I'm going to kill him. "Heal her neck, there's a lot of bruising and her trachea is severely damaged. Other than that, I think she's only bruised." I lightly place my fingers on her neck and let my powers flow into her, willing this to work. I can't rush, though. It's a delicate process.

"Loki," Bruce mutters distractedly, but I stay focused. He can wait. "Loki!"

"What?" I groan and still my hands, looking up just in time to see two figures stepping out of a sparking portal. Anxiety takes hold for a moment. To my relief, I recognize one of the approaching men, even though it's been over a year since we've met.

"What's going on?" Strange asks, automatically kneeling in front of Eliza. It must be his instincts as a doctor, the inability to not help someone in need. He grabs her wrist and his sharp eyes narrow. His companion, still wary, conjures up a pair of orange circular shields.

"How are you here?" I ask in return, already back to mending her wounds. The bruises slowly start to fade.

"An Earth-threatening force entered our atmosphere," the other sorcerer says. "We detected it and arrived here as soon as we were able."

"You were not soon enough," I snap under my breath. No one else hears my little outburst, which is probably for the best.

"We're not safe here," Strange says, glancing around. "We're too exposed. I know you gave away the Stone, but he will be back. Wong, prepare a portal." The Time Stone glows oddly in the night. Of course. He'll be back, because he needs six.

I am all too familiar with Thanos' plan, having been a part of it myself. That seems like ages ago, but it really was a short time considering I am over a thousand years old.

"Of course, Stephen." He waves his arms and a portal appears. I scoop Eliza into my arms with ease, just like the day I carried her into the house for the first time. That time, she was full of laughter and wisecracks. Now, her hair drapes over my arm, and her head lays limp on my shoulder. Don't. Don't think like that. Not yet. My eyes linger on the little cottage. I hope we're not gone long, but being roped back into this type of business generally requires time. "Shall we?"

The room we enter is the same place Heimdall sent me years ago. Heimdall. Another dagger seems to stab me in the heart, but I can only focus on one pain at a time. By now, I've healed Eliza's neck completely. Strange offers to summon something to lay her on, but I refuse, insisting to keep her in my arms. She's safest here.

"What is this place?" Bruce asks, glancing around with interest and slight paranoia.

"The Sanctum Sanctorum of New York City. We are Masters of the Mystic Arts, and protectors of the Universe as you know it," Wong replies proudly, straightening up as he says this.

"Stop bragging, Wong, and focus on the task at hand," Strange snaps, rolling his eyes. Wong gives him an irritated look.

"You are telling me not to brag?"

"I am, Beyonce. Problem?"

Before an argument can truly start, Eliza coughs a little, making my heart leap. Her bright blue eyes open slowly, first a fraction, then halfway, then fully. "Oh goodness," I murmur, giving her a light kiss on the forehead.

"Everything aches," she whispers, but then she smiles brightly, like she's just thought of something exciting.

"I have to conserve my powers. I only healed your neck, but you still have some bruises throughout your body. What is it?" I ask gently.

"That presumptuous grape thought he could kill me."

I chuckle. "He was wrong."

"Very. Can you put me down? Where are we, anyway?" I set her down as she takes in her surroundings before giving Bruce a tight hug and offering a hand to the sorcerers. "Doctor, I didn't expect to see you again."

"And I hoped to see you under better circumstances. It's Stephen, by the way." He takes off his cloak, which somehow levitates beside him and flies over to Eliza, waving a piece of its fabric like a mock handshake. It puzzles me. "Who was it?"

"Thanos," Bruce answers quickly pacing around the room like a madman. Wong and Strange look at him like he's crazy. 

"Who?"

*Cue Avengers theme, opening credits, and overall chills*

Vote and comment what you think!