Chapter 47

*

*

ONE YEAR LATER

*

*

"Loki, you really need to get moving if we're going to make our dinner reservations!" I call up the stairs, trying not to fall in my heels. I haven't worn them in months. He comes down a minute later, straightening his tie. My peacock.

"Tada!" He says, holding his arms out for effect. I snort. "What do you think?"

"I like you in all black," I reply, glancing down at my own form-fitting black dress. "We match."

"Indeed we do. And you look lovely, my sol. As always. Are you ready to go?" I pick my clutch up off of the kitchen table, nodding. In the front hall, a tiny, fluffy black kitten peers up at us with her big blue eyes, meowing softly. I scratch her between the ears.

"We'll be back later, Ophelia," I say. The fluffball looks at me reproachfully. I sigh. "Loki, can you move the cat so she doesn't make a break for it again?"

"Certainly." He waves his hand, causing Ophelia to fall into a mini portal. "She's upstairs."

"Your kitten is going to be the end of me," I grumble. "She's lucky I love her."

"Love, don't get jealous that she likes me better." Ophelia is a new addition to the household. A few weeks ago Loki just showed up with her, and I decided not to question it.

"Only because you transform into a cat sometimes. I don't have that crucial advantage, you know." We head for the door before I grab his wrist. "Wait! You forgot the disguise." He groans like a little boy before morphing into a man with gray azure eyes and messy brown hair.

"Do I have to?" He asks annoyingly. His accent is even slightly different, more British than Asgardian.

"I don't want people to recognize you," I insist. "And you're still cute, mind you."

"Not as cute," he grumbles. I lock the door and we walk down the front steps towards the car.

"Can you believe we've been married for a year?" I can't. It seems like only yesterday. The past year had flown by, the first completely peaceful and happy one I'd had in my entire life. We've had very little interaction with outsiders, except for a few people I have met in a nearby town, and Steve came to visit once or twice just to check in. He has a beard now. I can't tell if I'm okay with it.

"Not really, no," he says, taking my hand. His familiar cool is strangely comforting. "I'm personally hoping for many more like this one." I'm about to respond, but I shut my mouth when a rainbow portal appears in the late evening sky.

The Bifrost.

"What's going on?" I shout, gripping tighter onto Loki while covering my face from the flying debris.

"I don't know!" He shouts back. It stops suddenly, leaving a coughing man on the ground. I can't tell who he is from here. Loki transforms back into himself, including battle armor and three daggers, one which he hands to me.

"I think we need a rain date for dinner," I say, slipping off my heels. There's a certain thrill I associate with this. While I've enjoyed the peace, I've missed superhero-esque business. We approach the man cautiously. We haven't had to deal with anything for this year. Steve kept his promise. He's face down, but turns over when we get closer. My eyes widen. "Bruce?"

"Wha- Eliza? Is that you? What are you doing here? And where is here?" I drop the knife and embrace him. He shakily returns my hug. He's super confused, and I make sure not to let his emotions into me. I need to keep my head right now.