chapter nine

There was nothing that could stop me from smiling as I walked up to the cobble path to Evie's cottage, my suitcase rolling behind me. I let myself in, pushing my sunglasses on top of my head. I pushed my suitcase to the side by the shoe rack, which was home to Evie's small collection of shoes that were downstairs.

"Hello?!" I called out expecting to hear Evie from her workshop, but instead, Jane popped her head out of the kitchen. Upon seeing me she ran forward with open arms.

"Hanna! You're home." She called. "I was wondering where you had got to." I rubbed Jane's back and pulled away from her.

"My book tour ended late, sorry." I explained as she pulled me into the kitchen without a moment to breath.

Evie's kitchen diner was a homely place, however still large enough for her princess needs with a large island in the middle and in the connecting dining room was a long dining table with enough space to fit all of our family. The cottage windows allowed the sun to softly bounce off the polish cherry wood cupboards and marble sides. Ben and Doug were chatting happily, Ben sitting at the table with a cup of tea and Doug sitting on the island. It seems like all the other halves were here except mine and Jay's, with Lonnie being away at warrior training school for the year. Myself just being utterly and completely single.

"Hanna, you're back. I thought you were meant to be here yesterday." Ben said as the first to notice me. I exchanged waves with Doug and looked at Ben.

"Well, you know how events can get." I played off, walking off to make myself a cup of tea, with the spread already set out.

"Hanna." Ben sighed. I lifted the teapot, putting one hand on top of the lid, and poured. After placing down the pot, I looked over my shoulder to Ben.

"Your majesty." I retorted.

"Everyone was waiting for you this morning." I dropped a sugar cube into my teacup, then stirred with a teaspoon.

"They were?"

"It's Isle day." He said. I poured in a small amount of milk, stirring again.

"I forgot." I turned around sipping on my tea.

"You didn't."

"Fine. I don't want to go back there. You put my name up on a bridge, straight to Pirate's Bay, you think that it hasn't been vandalised."

"Han..." Jane whispered. I rolled my eyes and plopped myself down on the chair.

"I'm not talking about it. Ask me anything else." I snapped. Ben sighed but didn't speak. Doug was the one who broke the silence.

"How was the book tour?" Evie's boyfriend asked.

"Amazing, although I don't think the lost boys appreciated the romance." I laughed.

It was late afternoon when the purple limo pulled up outside. My best friends walked through the door smiling and laughing, dressed in their finest Isle clothing. Everyone in the kitchen stood to welcome them. Ben walking straight over to Mal to give her a kiss, Carlos picked up Jane and twirled her around, while Doug gave Evie a romantic return by giving her a bouquet of red roses. Jay came over and wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"I'm glad you're home." He whispered.

"Me too."

"How did it go?" Ben asked. Evie butted in, smelling her flowers, and answering before Mal could even open her mouth.

"It was the most rewarding thing we have ever done. Little Dizzy's face today meant the world to me." Evie sighed contently. Mal kissed Ben and then turned to me folding her arms.

"You were meant to come back with us." My twin scolded.

"I'm sorry. I promise I'll come next week. I'm just not risking a visit to the bridge. Do you guys mind if I head to bed, it's been a really busy day." My group of friends shook their heads and I smiled.

While school was out Evie had set up her basement to my Demi-God needs. The room had been decorated simple, there were a few tapestries on the walls to hide the wooden panelling. A huge queen size bed which barely left any room, but Evie had insisted. I had a sleek leather couch against the opposite wall, which was next to my bookshelf. The books that I had been a gift from Belle, after she discovered I was very into reading. I didn't have much light, just a floor lamp beside my bed and single bulb behind a boutique shade, however I usually kept it off as it reminded me of growing up with my dad in the various caves under the isle. Here I was content.

I was happy to be left alone but the others didn't enjoy the fact I lived with hardly any light, and they didn't come down her much except from Carlos, who was as much used to the dark as I was. So, it didn't surprise me that he was the one to check on me only minutes after I had gone down. He knocked on the door frame from the stairs, leaning against the wall. I sat up from my place on the couch and raised an eyebrow.

"Turn around if you're going to mention him or the Isle." I sparked my hair and Carlos walked into the room sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Not scary." He answered and I diminished the fire, rolling my eyes. "I came to tell you about the Isle today, because you need to know."

"Oh fine." I sighed. "Go on."

"I visited the bridge in your place today, and you're worrying about nothing. It was spotless, polished in fact." I sat straighter.

"Really?"

"Really. I didn't even see Harry either, I don't think he comes out from the Lost Revenge much anymore."

"I'm sorry, I seem like a real bitch." I sighed, standing up and walking over to Carlos, then sitting down next to him.

"It's okay, we all get it. You're hurting and I think it's always going to hurt." I nodded, my eyes starting to water and Carlos pulled me into his side and I sniffled as we sat there for a moment.

"I'll come to the pick-up next week, I promise, plus Ben is proposing, how could I ever miss that." I joked.

"Evie would really kill you." He laughed. "Seriously though, if anything happens while we're there, if he tries to come near you, I have your back. We all do."

"Thanks, Carlos."

"And please don't leave for any longer than two days ever again."

"Okay." I laughed at him, nudging him away.