15. Second Date, First Kiss

Chapter 15

Second Date, First Kiss

All day long Edward had tended to her needs and kept her on top of everything. Annabelle was confused more than ever now. Why was he doing all this? What was his purpose? Billionaires never do anything for commoners like her. And angry, possessive billionaires like Edward would certainly never do anything for her.

Then why is Edward an exception? The whole day, he had been nothing but kind to her. When she was hungry, he immediately prepared new dishes for her, that too her favourite ones. When she wanted to use the loo, he would gather her in his arms and carry her inside and wait right outside the door until she was done. And best of all, when she wanted to lie down due to her tiredness, he wouldn’t say anything but simply put her on the bed and lie down with her, cuddling her, caressing her hair until she fell asleep.

This was more than just attraction. This was love. She could feel it. She was falling for Edward and his caring ways, his stupid jokes, his caring attitude, his embarrassing innuendos, everything about him was drawing her to him.

And amongst all these feelings, she felt all too familiar with them. She felt as if she knew what these were. As if she had experienced them before, and that they were nothing new.

Then there was the fact about Rose. Rose had said to her, that Edward had played an important role in her life. What was he in her life before the accident? He had to be somebody close, with the way he was behaving with her right now. If he were just a friend, he wouldn’t be treating her with such love and affection right now, would he?

The thing she just couldn’t fathom was what sort of love was this?

“Ed? Can I ask you a question?”

Edward looked up from his book, taking a sip from the beer can by his side. They were sitting on the bed facing each other. Annabelle had been watching a movie and Edward was reading a book. “Go ahead,” he said, turning back to his book.

Annabelle played with her fingers before finally blurting out, “Were you like a brother to me before the accident?”

Edward started choking violently on his drink and coughed loudly. Annabelle gasped and started rubbing his back showing her comfort. After a few moments, he calmed down.

Looking at her with wide eyes he asked, “What did you say?”

“I said, were you-”, he cut Annabelle off.

“No I heard that. What I meant was what made you ask me that?”

Annabelle shrugged and replied, “It’s because you are always so nice to me, despite my rudeness towards you which, by the way, has melted. I was just puzzled about this.”

Edward nodded at her to continue.

“I was puzzled about why you are always around me, why you are so protective of me, why whenever I say something that indicates I don’t know you, you feel hurt and most of all, why you always look at me as if I’m the only female in this world,” she finished.

Edward looked deep in thought and finally replied, “Look, I was not at all a brother to you or even close to being a brother before you accident. In fact, I was quite the opposite. A brother doesn’t sleep in the same bed as his sister but we did, didn’t we? As for your other questions, I care for you. Truly and deeply. You were very special to me before the accident and you still are. What our relationship was is something you have to try and remember on your own.”

Annabelle looked at him and tried to make sense of his words. “How will I remember?”

Edward shook his head and said, “Don’t strain your head any further. You will remember eventually. You need time and I’m here for you. Take all the time you need. I’m not going anywhere. So remember, just take your medicines on time and concentrate on getting well. We have all the time in the world to bring you out of your amnesia, ok?”