Chapter 15

- Bokuto

I sat on the sofa in our family living room, drowning in my own misery. Kuroo and Kenma sat on the floor, wearing grim faces and not saying anything. My grandfather was rubbing my grandmother's back in an attempt to calm her down, and my father had a blank expression on his face.

"Isn't there anything we can do?" I asked to no one in particular, my voice husky from crying.

"Not really," Kuroo sighed. "Even if we did happen to know where they took Akaashi, the chance we have of actually saving him is very low."

"Keiji," I snapped. "His name is Keiji."

"Bokuto, you do realize that his mother is called the Demon Woman, right? I mean, until she escaped over twenty years ago, everyone knew who she was. I bet even the humans knew, and we lost contact with them hundreds of years ago."

"A name doesn't determine someone's personality, or fate," I said flatly, remembering the woman who Keiji had loved dearly.

"Even so, she was still half Yokai, making Keiji have some Yokai blood in him too. What's stopping them from killing somebody? It's in their DNA."

"Keiji and his mother aren't like that!" I yelled, making Kuroo jump. "What do you know, did you ever met her?!"

"Well no, but-" Kuroo tried, but I cut him off.

"Then shut the hell up! I saw how Keiji's mom looked at him, and how he looked at her. I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that they both never did anything wrong."

"What about his father?" Kenma piped up, somewhat quietly.

"That man doesn't deserve to have that title," I sneered. "He abused Keiji and his mom every damn day, making their lives a living hell."

"Keiji mentioned something about his father killing my daughter. . ." my grandmother muttered, than craned her neck to look at her husband. "Dear, do you really think that's true?"

"Why would he have a reason to lie?" my grandfather said. "Even though I didn't know him as well as you did, I know that he was always honest."

"If he really was telling the truth, and that his father really did burn down the house and killed Keiji's mother, what are we going to do?" I asked, but no answers came.

"The guilt must be eating him alive," Kuroo sulked, pulling his wings in close.

"It wasn't his fault," I defended. "I'm going to get him back, no matter what."

"Oh for the love of- you can't, Bo!" Kuroo suddenly shouted, and I scowled at him.

"Well why the hell not?!"

"You don't even know where they took him, Bokuto," Kuroo reasoned. "For all we know, he could already be dead-"

"No!" I yelled, shooting up from the couch and balling up my fists. "Keiji's not dead, Kuroo! You'll see, I'll go save him and then we'll walk around the market like usual, and get sweets, and drink so much that Keiji and Kenma have to drag us home, everything! Damnit, Kuroo, have a little faith in me!"

"How can I?!" Kuroo hollered. "What do you even know about Keiji, huh? I'll tell you, nothing! You know nothing about him, Bokuto! Now stop dreaming, get your head out of the clouds, and let. Him. Go!" Kuroo screamed at me, standing up to face me. I didn't even let the silence settle in the room before I swung my fist at Kuroo's face, connecting with his check and sending him stumbling back.

"Kōtarō!" my father yelled, yanking me away from Kuroo by the back of my kimono. I shrugged him off, bolting out of the door.

"Kōtarō!" my family yelled after me, but I shut them out, spreading my wings and jumping into the sky.