Chapter 8

- Akaashi

I sat on top of the wooden bridge, swinging my legs back and forth and bit. My toes skimmed the water gently, sending ripples throughout the water, my socks folded neatly next to my sandals beside me. I rested on my hands behind me, gazing up at the white clouds drifting across the sky, random things crossing my mind.

It has been six years since I had left my old village, moving in with my grandparents. Well, more like I was living on my own with roommates. My grandparents didn't abuse me, but they certainly didn't like me. The second we got to their house, they completely ignored me, leaving me to fend for myself. I cooked my own food, folded my own laundry, and washed and made my own bed. If my grandparents said something to me, it was usually an insult or to complain about something I had done wrong. That, or asking what I was making for dinner, since my grandmother was too lazy to cook herself.

I sighed, lying down on my back. I had considered going to visit Bokuto a few times, but we were almost a five hour flight away from my old village, and my grandparents never let me go to the nearest village, which was an hour away. I wasn't really allowed to go anywhere without them in fact, the forest was pretty much the only place I could go. Bokuto-san. . .

My thoughts drifted to the owl-like boy, and what he was doing. My eyes slide over to the sun, checking its position in the sky. It's around noon then, I thought, and chuckled to myself. Knowing Bokuto, he was probably still sleeping. Without any living contact in years except with my grandparents had made me quite lonely, even though I didn't like to admit it. Bokuto had been obnoxious at times, sure, but he was still my best friend. I wondered if he even remembered who I was, but I pushed it away. I would never forget him, even twenty years from now. I still get embarrassed when I remember how I kissed him.

That kiss. . . gods I had been such an idiot at the time. I had let my emotions take over, not even watching my actions. Bokuto probably hates me for it.

"Oh, who am I kidding?" I said to no one in particular, pulling my feet out of the water and waiting for them to dry before slipping on my socks and sandals.

"Now, I wonder what I'm going to make for dinner tonight. . ." I mumbled to myself, and pulling myself to my feet, walking back to our house. "Grandma doesn't really like duck, but grandpa loves it, but they both like bear. Yeah, I'll make bear," I decided, hoping that I'd find a bear big enough for the three of us.

When I got back to the house, I opened the door, taking off my sandals again. "I'm home," I said quietly.

"Took you long enough," my grandmother snapped, glaring at me from her place at the table. "Dinner better be ready soon, I'm starving."

"Yes, ma'am," I answered, grabbing my bow and walking out of the door, a bitter taste filling my mouth. My grandparents didn't know what it was really like to be starving. Like your stomach was shrinking in on itself, being so weak you can barely move.

"Wait, Akaashi," my grandfather barked as I was about to close the door behind me, and I flinched when he used my last name. It was a reminder of everything I'd lost, and everything wrong with me.

"Yes, sir?" I responded anyway, putting on my usual emotionless face.

"After you get back, prepare dinner and then pack," he said, turning away to go back to his workspace.

"Where are we going?" I asked. "Sir," I added, seeing my grandmother's look.

"Look, Akaashi, you're almost nineteen. We can't keep letting you live in our house," my grandfather said. "It's time for you to get out."

"But where would I go?" I didn't mind moving out, it meant that I could finally not be insulted every day of my life.

"Your old village," my grandfather said, resuming his path again. My bow fell out of my hands, falling to the floor below me.