Chapter 2

- Bokuto

As I wandered the streets, looking for my friends, I suddenly saw a black haired boy trip and fall. Panicked, I ran over to him to see if he was okay.

"Are you alright?" I asked worriedly. The boy lifted his head off the ground, and my breath got caught in my throat. He was beautiful. His black hair swirled into elegant curls, and his blue eyes faded to an emerald green near his pupils. He had a slightly pointy chin, and a small, thin nose, which went perfectly with his smooth lips. There was a tiny bit of mud that had managed to stick onto the boy's face, and I had the urge to wipe it away. His wings were filthy and unkempt, and he had a few feathers missing here and there. Even so, he seemed to have a very large wingspan because even though his wings were folded tightly together, the tips still reached the ground.

Even filthy and covered in mud, he was the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen.

The boy looked at me before nodding, and I reached out a hand to help him up. He reluctantly took it, and I helped pull him to his feet.

"Oh man, your kimono is all dirty," I pouted, looking at his faded dark blue kimono that was now covered in mud. I snuck in a glance at his feet, and his socks had holes in them. His sandals didn't seem to be in the best condition either, I wondered when the last time he got new ones were. I glanced back up at the boy's face, and was surprised to find tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Hey! Don't cry! It's okay!" I said in a panic, trying to figure out what to do. "C'mon, you can clean up at my house," I smiled at him, which seemed to calm him down a little. Carefully, I took the boy's hand and started leading him back to my house.

"Oh, by the way! My name is Bokuto, Bokuto Kōtarō," I said, giving him another smile since it seemed to calm him down. The boy didn't say anything, but he started to blush heavily, and I turned back around as I felt my own cheeks heat up. This boy was really pretty.

"Alright, we're here," I said once my house came into view. I led the boy through the front gate, and he stared at all the flowers that surrounded our house.

"My grandmother loves flowers, sorry if it's a bit overwhelming," I apologized, but the boy shook his head. Suddenly I remembered something, and I mentally slapped myself.

"Oh I almost forgot!" I exclaimed, stopping in my track and turning to face the boy. "What's your name?" The boy opened his mouth to respond, but stopped himself. Maybe he can't speak? I thought.

"Keiji," the boy finally whispered, but I could barely hear it.

"Huh?" I asked, confused. "Kenji?"

"Keiji," the boy, Keiji, repeated. He looked away. "And the flowers are beautiful."

"That's a really pretty name!" I said, and I meant it. Keiji looked at me, surprised.

"It is?"

"Sure is! C'mon, my family is inside," I continued, dragging Keiji inside.

"I'm home!" I announced, and my mother came from the kitchen at the sound of my voice, wiping her hands on a towel.

"Hey honey, how was-" she started, but stopped once she saw Keiji.

"Mom, this is Keiji," I said, remembering that I was still holding his hand and let go. "He tripped and fell and I helped him out since his kimono got all dirty."

I glanced back at him, and I saw something like fear in Keiji's eyes. I didn't know why, my mother is one of the nicest people ever.

"Hello, Keiji," she smiled again. "You look hungry, would you like something to eat?"