Outrunning the Storm (ch 1)

Chapter 1

It has been almost two months since Vaun's death and still every night I dream of that day.

The stench of burnt flesh and blood carried behind us like the long veil of a wedding gown. "Anniel, Anniel damn it look at me! Look at me!"

My eyes struggled beneath the rain of blood that poured down my face with each struggled heart beat. "Mitch I'm so tired." I said as my eyes gave in to their weariness and they began to close.

"Anniel!" He grabbed my face in his hands and I screamed from the pain. "You can't fall asleep! You can't leave me again!" Behind closed eyes I saw the face of the boy that had been ripped from my side all those years ago. My eyes fluttered open then, set by a new determination never to leave that boy again. "There we go, stay with me okay? Just stay awake."

The days that followed were filled with uncertainty. Unable to risk the chance of someone recognizing me, Mitch was only able to call in a local town doctor. I wasn't supposed to make it and no matter how much Mitch told me I was going to be okay the worried look in his eyes told me the truth. Infection ravaged my broken body and as fever set in I began to believe it was the end.

"I love you more than life it's self Anna" Mitch whispered in my ear as he hesitantly brushed a strand of hair from my bandaged face. I was broken in too many places to count and because of this Mitch had been too afraid to touch me, too afraid to inflict more pain on my weary body. "What's wrong?" he asked pulling back suddenly as if him touching me had caused the tears that had begun to fall from my eyes.

"I'm going to die aren't I?" the words caught in my throat half way but he heard me none the less.

I don't know whether he had become tired of lying or because he could sense the time was near, but at that moment he told me the truth. "Yes, Anniel." At that moment it didn't matter that I was covered in bandages or that I had become too weak to sit up, he kissed me then; kissed me as though this were the last time his lips would ever touch mine.

From then on I began to truly wither away. I could no longer talk and I spent most of the day sleeping. The worst I became the less Mitch slept. His once bright green eyes began to turn grey as dark circles began to engulf them. Then one day I began to get better and better. I was eating again, and talking. With Mitch's help I was able to walk around the tiny cabin, even with my recovery though, nothing could wipe away the pain that had come with the acceptance of my death.

Since then Mitch couldn't touch me, could risk the chance that this was all a dream and that the brush of his finger alone would shatter me. Since then Mitch hadn't been the same. Since then we hadn't been the same.

~*~

"Mitch!" I scream through tears as I gasped for air. I turn and touch the bed, but he's not there. I close my eyes as I rub my temple telling myself that everything was okay. Nightmares ravaged me in my sleep almost as bad as worry did while I was awake.

Pulling on a sweater I get out of bed. Without turning on the light I navigated my way out of the bedroom to the small living area where Mitch lied passed out on the couch. Ever since I had begun to get better Mitch had begun to sleep on the couch rather than our bed. He said it was to give me space on the tiny twin mattress but the truth was that he still had a hard time being so near me.

Kissing him softly I walked to the bathroom. The light flickers on and from the single cracked mirror I see my own reflection. Slowly I peel away the bandages covering my face. A scar runs down my jaw line where Vaun's fist had hit me the night of the fire accompanied by burned flesh that ran down my neck. A burst lip and a stitches over my temple; these are the things Vaun left me with. These are the reason's Mitch won't touch me.

Slumping to the floor I began to let frustrated tears run down my face. Would he ever touch me the way he used to? Would he look me in the eyes, showing me the love he used to feel? Would he ever call me beautiful again?

*Please comment and tell me what you think and vote if you'd like!*