2. The Encounter.

"This world is a cruel place, Rissy."

- Steve Robins.

I was awake by sharp seven o'clock in the morning. I didn't even realize that how easily I'd slipped into my old routine. As if just yesterday I'd attended the bonfire night. But in reality, the bonfire had happened almost two weeks ago.

By the time we were in caves, most of our vacation had passed away. Our schools were closed due to summer vacation. School was going to reopen on after two weeks. Our territory had special provisions due to supernatural battles. Our school had made plans to adjust the study we missed when we lived in the caves. They'd give us assignments and extra-lectures to fill the gaps of our academic year.

"Iris?" Millicent said after opening my bedroom door and breaking my chain of thoughts "You aren't ready yet?"

Millicent, Arthur and I were going to river Torrens to spend some time together. It was at the foot of Adelaide hills. Even though we went to Adelaide hills frequently, we never got tired of visiting the river. I liked to visit the river as it calmed me. It'd become a tradition of ours over the years. The place was perfect since nobody was going to be there to disturb us.

"Don't you know how to knock?" I said sarcastically. She just rolled her eyes.

"Iris, you have thirty minutes to get ready, okay?"

"Wait, where's Arthur?" I asked, ignoring her ultimatum. "Isn't he coming?"

"Arthur is getting ready as well," she said, her voice laced with irritation. "That lazy koala is lethargic like you."

"I am so hurt," I retorted, feigning hurt. "I just can't stop crying."

Millicent rolled her eyes and sat on my bed and I, without wasting time, went to take a hot shower. After I came out of the bathroom, I saw a neatly folded pair of clothes on my bed. Of course, Mil had left it for me.

When I descended to the first floor, my mother was ready with the breakfast. I'd already informed her about my plans with my cousins. "Where's Mil?"

"She left to see if Arthur was ready."

We both chuckled a little, knowing what was coming for Arthur if he wasn't ready. Mil was always the responsible one, the perfect one and also very uptight.

While munching breakfast, mom instructed me. "Please go safely and don't waste a lot of time. Also, keep a check on Arthur's shenanigans. Do you understand?" She asked, her eyes asking for assurance. She looked really worried.

"Mom, is everything okay?" I asked, concerned. "This is not the first time that we're going."

"Nothing, Riss," she replied, smiling brightly. That seemed weird. The way she changed her emotions.

"Okay..." I was going to inquire more about that but my pager beeped signalling that I had a voice message from Millicent, "Are you ready? I am waiting in my car outside." So, I quickly finished my breakfast and rushed outside.

"You took more than 30 minutes, you know that?" She asked, annoyed. Uh-oh.

"I'm sorry."

"Bludger," she said and rolled her eyes and the engine roared to life. Millicent was driving her Holden VH, which was gifted to her by Uncle Wilmer-Millicent's father and my dad's brother-on her last birthday.

As we drove to the river, Millicent and I were talking about the war. Arthur was listening to us intently. His facial expressions were so funny. Had he heard so intently to the teachers in school, he would have topped all his tests.