Prologue

PROLOGUE

Warm breath washes over fern leaves. Calculating eyes assess the scene in front. No one notices them. No one senses them. They had made it this far, yet they were still a bit from their prize. They had to be careful. One wrong move and their cover would be blown and the band would disappear from their tracings. No one had ever been able to get this close to the group. They would get close, very close, but they would end up right where they started - at the edge of the territory. Miles away from the community. No magic was involved. They were just the smartest and wisest band of the East section. The natural undergrowth was like a maze. If you weren't a Brother, you were lost.
The younglings, fresh faced and chubby cheeked, ran around chasing each other and playing warrior. The adults sat and leaned on natural objects, talking about the local gossip. A nine year old leans against a tree and closes his eyes to the sounds of his Band. A tugging on his arm brings his daydream to warm brown orbs.

"Come on, Tyler. Come on." She pulls with each sentence. Tyler rolls his eyes while letting out an audible sigh.

"Suranna." He wines. He turns away from her and tries to pull his arm out of her grasp; to no avail. He could easily beat her in a fight, she easily beat him in arm wrestling.

"Come on." Tug. "Tyler." Tug. "I want," tug. "To show you," tug. "Something."

Tyler shakes his head. "No. I want to stay here."

"Oh god damn it! I'm trying to tell you a secret!" She swears in her little squeaky six year old voice. His eyes snap open. Turning his head slightly so he can look her in the eyes, he raises an eyebrow.

"Really?"

Suranna sighs. Really, this boy could get under her skin.

"Ahh? Yes." She said in a 'duh' voice. Tyler tilts his head. "Uh! Yes! Can we please go now?" He nods his head slowly. A smile lights up her face; ear to ear and very toothy. She pulls him away from the tree in her haste to show him, nearly ripping his arm from its socket. He hisses in warning making her drop his arm in fear of losing her own. She continued her fast pace towards the trees behind the swings. He lagged behind, patiently making his way behind her. Suranna looked behind her.

"What's taking you so long?" She yelled across the field. Tyler had stopped and was looking around. His calculating gaze swept the Band. Nothing was unusual. Nothing was out of place. Except one shiny spot in the leafage. It moved, disappearing and reappearing behind Suranna. Two more appeared either side of it. His brain switched to the last time he saw it.

***Two years ago

They were at the edge of the territory. His father was directing another young male in the technique of sword play. He moved the youngling's arm into the right position and set him up against a wooden dummy.

'Whoosh!'

The air around the blade separated as it whistled towards his skin. Tyler redirected his attention and narrowly brought his own metal to intercept. They collided with a clang, sliding down with a metallic hiss, meeting at the hilts. Twisting his wrist, he brings the danger to the ground. Continuing with the movement, he turns sideways and lightly hits his attacker's head with the flat of his blade. Less than three seconds.
Smiling smugly, he turned to watch the other boy and his father. There was something different. A spot of light behind the two figures. It moved every now and again, but otherwise, stayed in the same spot. There were a few more around it.

'Strange,' thought Tyler. "Hey dad!" He called out. "What is the light behind you?"
Rhys stared hard at his son and looked behind him. Yes, there was a shiny spot behind him, but there was something else. Something deadly.

"Compounds!" ***

"Compounds!" Tyler yelled. Everyone stopped, not sure whether to believe him. The bushes moved. The four 'compounds' charged out of their hiding place. Humans sat upon their necks like riders on horses, though, that breed wasn't alive anymore. Their rides ran towards the Band, desperate to come home without an empty catch.
The Brothers' panicked. They picked up their children and ran away, not bothering to get anything out of their houses. Tyler ran towards the attackers, hoping to save his friend, wishing he had his sword. He was too late.
Suranna was snatched up before he could get to her. In desperation, he leapt to get to her, but was foiled. His uncle had caught him mid-air and was now rushing away from the original destination. Tyler struggled and fought against him. Not willing to let up he yelled his last vow.

"Suranna! I will find you! And I won't stop until I do!"

"Tyler! Tyler!"