Chapter 5 [extended]

CHAPTER 5

They passed through many miles - and few territory miles - before they entered a ring of thinning tree which soon dispersed entirely to show a clear mile stretched towards the compound base.
The 50ft grey walls that made up the entry gate loomed over Tyler in the obvious display of dominance the humans thought they had. Tyler rolled his eyes as he waited for the gate to rise.
The compound was an 260000 acre nonagon consisting of a 40mile wide outer-sector fenced off from the inner-sector itself was made out of living quarters for both humans and Cavats, eating quadrant, equipment and vegetable garden, and a livestock area. But other than the bright colours created by the vegetation, the place was a bit bland by Tyler's standards - very grey, and very much like a military bunkhouse the humans had once.

As Suranna and Luka turned off the corridor and headed towards the equipment room Lev gave a gentle tug on Tyler's arm, leading him in the opposite direction. They passed several doors till they stopped at the ninth, marked with human transcript that Tyler wouldn't have understood had he not studied it as a kid.

"Quarantine," he mumbled. Lev queried him from the corner of his eye, but didn't say anything of it. Instead, he turned to face the door again, reaching to push it open.

"You'll be staying here until a human has chosen you as their Ride. If there hasn't been after a week, you'll be... Released back into the forest to join up with your Band again. It's up to you who you bond with." He stated as the door swung wide to reveal a plain, dirt-floored room with just a bunk and a thin blanket adorning the area.

Tyler sighted lightly, "if that is how it has to be." He walked into the room, ignoring Lev completely.

"You're not that down are you?" Lev questioned after studying his calm form. Tyler looked over his shoulder.
"I mean you're not all deranged and depressed and defeated like most others we bring in."

"It is a waste of time and energy to do such things." Tyler wised, looking away.
Lev looked away, awkward at the sudden, weak wave of authority.
"Ok, then... I'll see you later...then."

The door shut with a dull thud, leaving Tyler to his lonesome.

*******

Tyler waited in that room for an estimate of a day. Nothing was brought in; no food and no water. He lay there on that plain cot, staring off at the ceiling. With nothing to physically take his mind off it, he worried for his Band. Where they safe? Had anything happened to them? What were they doing? How were they with his absence? Are they hurt? Did Alkali k--, NO! He couldn't think like that. Positive thoughts. Positive. Tyler sighs, becoming exhausted and lonely. What should I do, Anna? What is there to do?

Creak! Bang! Cluck! Cluck! Cluck! Click!

Tyler snaps his head to the side to witness a part of the wall close to the top retract from its holding. Behind it, an open-railed balcony overlooking the room he occupies. So much for privacy...
He sits on the edge of the cot as a figure moves towards the ledge, followed by two others. They stare at him, assessing his worth. He stares back, challenging them to make the wrong move. Silence became a heavy burden; seemingly tense enough to physically cut.

"He's not too shabby." The youngest of the four finally stated. A roguishly handsome and shadowed face was the point of everyone's gazes.

"Shabby? Pft!!! He looks like a bloody wanna-be! I can't believe one of our strongest patrols had to resort to dirty tactics just to defeat him and letting valuable assets escape!" ranted the one with a moustache that curled at the ends. He and the youth laughed. The third one looked on; studying their prisoner.

"He is not all that he looks. He's intelligent." He states causing a choked sound to come from his companions.

"What?" They gazed in confusion. He nodded to Tyler.

"Look at him. You can see it in his eyes. He's studying us like we are him. Though it would seem we would be at different view points - only he knows his own. Can 'ou not see it? He is different from your average Cavat. And I can bet it two ways: He'll destroy this branch; or he'll liberate it..."

A burst of laughter erupted from the humans. Tyler didn't break his composure continuing to measure the conversers.

"I bet he's a good-for-nothing brute whom we'll break soon enough to be our play thing." Moustache jeered. "And if not, he'll be running back to the forest with his tail between his legs!"

"True, but it's not up to us Jed," the youngest pointed out. "It's the Serges to see whether he's worthy to stay and his too if he wants to."

Jed tched. "Let's go. I think we've stayed long enough."

"Jist 'cause you don't like bein' corrected. Isn't that right Farrel?" Farrel nodded, "Sure is Jer."

They walked off, bickering amongst themselves leaving Tyler to his peace. He relaxed slightly and laid back on the cot. Humans were weird. Weird but entertaining, he'd give them that.