You blinked.

Was he under the tutelage of Urokodaki, as was your mother? After all, the cloud-like pattern of his robe was similar to the pattern of the garments your mother kept stowed away. The mask, too, was alike the broken one that hung on the shed wall.

You shook your head of those thoughts. It was unlikely. Your mother said Urokodaki rarely trains children anymore.

"The wisteria trees are beautiful," you half-rambled in an attempt to change the subject since he did not look totally convinced. You did not want him inquiring about your scars, nor did you want him to worry unnecessarily. Glancing up at the beautiful canopy of leaves, you said, "It was easy to take a nap under them."

At least, until my dream took a dark turn and I woke up...

It was as they say. Good dreams never last.

The boy's face relaxed, but only slightly. He knew well you were trying to divert his attention from the strange action you took with your sword just moments prior. Respecting your wishes, however, he spoke not of it and instead replied with, "Yeah. Wisteria trees are not supposed to bloom in this season, yet here they are." His eyes sparkled a little. "As I thought, the place of the Final Selection is amazing-!"

Fujikasaneyama, the mountain where said test occurred. You were one of the first to arrive that day, and given the comforting atmosphere, decided to take a nice breather before going into battle. You hadn't expected your scars to act up like that, though. It was troubling.

Here, surrounded by groves of wisteria trees, those cursed, demonic wounds flared.

The footsteps of two caught your attention. They were quiet, but carried on with authority. They belonged to two girls in floral printed kimonos.

"Greetings, everyone," the first said in a soothing tone. She had short black hair. "Thank you all for joining the Final Selection tonight." She then gestured over her shoulder to the rest of the mountain. "There are many demons held captive on this mountain by Demon Slayers. They are unable to leave."

The other girl, one with short white hair, continued to explain, "Because from the mountain foot to halfway up, there is a lot of demon-repelling wisteria that bloom year-round."

They began to trade off lines.

"However, from here on out, there is no more wisteria. Only demons."

You briefly considering nabbing some wisteria flowers and taking them with you, but then dismissed the idea as cheating.

"If you can survive here for seven days,"

"Then you pass the Final Selection."

They separated to let you and the other candidates move onward.

"Now, let the Final Selection begin."

The boy offered you his hand, and again you couldn't help but notice how rough it was. It had the callouses and marks of a true fighter, and despite being worn, his hand looked gentle.

It reminded you of your mother.

You accepted his help and grasped his hand as he pulled you to your feet.