I Should Have Known

Start from the beginning

"What will?" I ask, confused.

"You'll see."

Once we reach the platform, we wait outside patiently. Well, Happy waits patiently. I wait anxiously and restlessly.

"What if...." I trail off, mostly thinking to myself.

"What if?" Happy prompts me to continue.

I sigh. "I don't know....what if she's...disappointed? Or something."

Happy looks at me with a mix of confusion and amusement. "Disappointed? Why would she be disappointed?"

"That might not be the right word. But...I don't know. I'm supposed to be Spider-Man! This really cool powerful guy who can protect her. What if she's disappointed that I'm actually just this nerd, wanna-be-Avenger?" I stare at my feet. "What if she doesn't think I'm able to protect her?"

Happy places a hand on my shoulder. "She won't think that."

"How do you know?"

"Just take my word for it."

We wait in silence for a few moments, with Happy's hand still on my shoulder in an act of reassurance, before I work up the courage to ask the question that's been on my mind since Mr. Stark told me about the plan.

"What if I'm not able to protect her?"

Happy hesitates before answering. "I think that you're too hard on yourself. I have no doubt that you not only have the ability, but that you'll do everything in your power to protect her. No matter what. Especially once you see who she is."

My head snaps up to look at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You'll see."

"Would you quit saying that?"

He doesn't get a chance to respond, because right then we spot Mr. Stark heading towards us.

With his daughter.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"Happy..." I start. "Why...why is she wearing a ski mask?"

He chuckles. "Like I said, Tony has a flair for dramatics."

The hurricane of emotions that had somewhat calmed down starts back up again in full force, making me feel sick to my stomach with nervousness and anxiety.

Holy shit, this is actually happening.

"It'll be okay," Happy whispers, before walking away in the direction that Mr. Stark and his daughter are coming from. He stops and talks to them for a bit, before heading into the building.

Mr. Stark and his daughter continue to walk towards me. The space between us feels like miles.

Was the platform always this long?

But even still, I find myself wishing it was even longer. Wishing I could buy myself just a little more time, before my entire world changes.

The only sound around is the sound of their feet hitting the platform.

Step.

Step.

Step.

Step.

They grow closer and closer, my anxiety increasing with each step.

Soon, they're five feet away from me.

His daughter fidgets with her hands and looks anywhere but me. I find myself wanting to do the same, but I don't want her to think I'm afraid. I need her to believe that I can protect her.