Epilogue

Bluestar looked down at young Firepaw, pleased with how he just defeated Longtail in his first fight. For a moment, she was sent back.

A brown and red tabby sparred with the lean pale tabby. They played as kits and trained as apprentices. That cat had had a lot of potential.

But she went insane and threw it all away. Bluestar had spared the young cat the humiliation of the clan knowing, after her death, that she had attempted to murder their beloved leader. So they mourned the water-logged body once they found it along the shore.

Tigerclaw had been the other cat to show that day, and he had tried to stop the cat her partially trained. But she was faster and did not seem to hear him calling. He was also the one to find her body, to bring it to camp and show her mother, Goldenflower.

Fireflight could have been the fire, Bluestar thought, but she gave that up for StarClan knows why.

--Moons later--

Goldenflower was fast asleep with Tigerclaw's litter piled beside her belly.

The brightly colored queen was walking through the forest. She felt younger, though she was not sure why. Redtail was with her and so were some other cats.

A canine scent wafted over her tongue, and she became nervous. A screech from her child, and she was sent running.

This had happened before. It was Firepaw!

But this time, the cat who landed on the ground in front of her, torn and bloodied, was Swiftpaw.

Goldenflower jolted awake. She wanted to go check the apprentices' den, but refrained. She had to stay with her youngest litter.

Only, there was suddenly a commotion outside. She stayed put.

The scent of blood was overwhelming. What had happened?

Longtail's voice was barely caught by her ears, "Swiftpaw, no...."

Swiftpaw?

Goldenflower left her resting litter and peered out of the nursery.

It was a nightmare.

How many of her own would she lose? How many times would her heart break?