“Wow! Since when did acquaintances start hanging out casually?”

“Lis, don’t misunderstand it. It doesn’t mean anything. I swear!”

“Oh, yeah? But why do you sound like you’re having a harder time convincing yourself with everything about this Jungkook guy?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Chaeng, I’m not sure if you’re just playing dumb with me.”

“I’m not.”

“Then if you did not notice it, you are actually interacting with him more than you normally do for someone you refer as an acquaintance. Plus he’s someone you just met not too long ago.”

“I . . . I am?”

Lisa accusingly pointed her finger at Chaeyoung as she said, “Yes, you are.”

“I am.” Chaeyoung whispered after realizing her own actions. “Actually, I . . .”

“You don’t have to explain yourself.”

Ignoring Lisa, Chaeyoung continued. “Actually, he’s too upfront sometimes. He can even be too cocky for my liking. And I don’t know how but he makes me feel comfortable with his company despite all that.”

“So you like him?”

“No! But he’s not so bad. Maybe . . . we’re just getting to know each other for now.”

… … … … …

“Chaeyoung, when are you going to tell us about this man?” Chaeyoung’s father asked.

At her father’s manner of questioning, she felt that she was about to be grilled regarding Jungkook. She accusingly looked at Alice but Alice just shrugged at her.

“About who Dad?” She asked, trying to evaluate how much his father already knew about Jungkook.

“Are you dating him?” Her father asked.

Her mother and Alice stayed tight-lipped, not wanting to intervene nor join her conversation with her father.

“No.”

“Is he courting you?”

“No. I, uh, I don’t know. We just met a few weeks ago. I don’t think he’s thinking about that at this point.”

“You already went on a date, what does he want from you then?”

“Dad, we’re still getting to know each other.”

“If he’s not interested in you, he won’t even waste his time getting to know you. How did the two of you even meet? Is he your colleague? What is his position in the company?”

“He’s working in a company that is on the same building as mine. That’s where we met. We’ve only gone out . . . twice. So let’s not imagine things.”

“I know how a man’s mind works Chaeyoung. Besides, with your beauty, I’d doubt if he wouldn’t have an interest in you.”

“That’s why you’ll always be my man, Dad!” Chaeyoung boldly winked at her father.

“You’re only saying that now because you don’t have a boyfriend yet.”

Her mother and Alice chuckled at her father’s comment.

“Dad!” She lightheartedly complained.

Then they all laughed altogether. Chaeyoung promised his father that if things get serious between her and Jungkook, she will introduce him to them. And she managed to assure her father with her promise.

Chaeyoung stayed inside her room right after dinner. She just came out of the bathroom when her phone rang. She was annoyed when she saw that it was Taehyung who was calling her. So she ended the call.

Taehyung called again. And she ended the call the second time. But when he called once more, she annoyingly took the call. She was irritated at his persistence.

“What do you want?!” Chaeyoung barked.

“Chae . . .” Taehyung whimpered.

Then he audibly cried on the other end of the line. She was surprised. And she hesitated whether to console him or totally dismiss him. But his break down started to disturb her.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“Everything,” He mumbled. “Chae, please come see me. I’m begging you. Please. Just for tonight. Please, please Chaeyoung.”

She silently cursed, both at Taehyung and herself.

“Where are you?”

“I will text you the address.”

Chaeyoung then changed out of her pajamas and went out to meet Taehyung. She was intercepted by her father when she passed by the living room. She lied that she was meeting her college friends for a get-together.

She was anxious while riding a taxi to the bar where Taehyung was. But her anger was growing by the second. She was fuming at his impudence.

She marched her way inside the bar as she looked for him. It took her about five minutes before finding Taehyung slumped on a table. Trying to wake him up, she flicked his forehead to no avail.

She was gritting her teeth in frustration when she tried to lift him up. She slung his arm around her shoulder as she dragged him outside. But before she can move far from his table, she bumped into Jungkook. They were both completely surprised at seeing each other.

They both asked each other, “What are you doing here?!”

Jungkook looked confusedly between her and Taehyung.

When Chaeyoung noticed the way Jungkook eyed Taehyung, she tried to reason out.

“This is not what it looks like.” She blurted.

“Why? What does it look like?” Jungkook retorted.

“Argh!” She exclaimed before abruptly dropping Taehyung on a nearby chair.

“Can you just . . . please help me carry him outside?” She shamelessly begged Jungkook.

Jungkook gave Chaeyoung a piercing gaze before he grabbed Taehyung. Jungkook dragged Taehyung outside with Chaeyoung behind them.

“You don’t need to explain anything.” Jungkook said out of nowhere.

Chaeyoung responded with a curt nod.

After Jungkook put Taehyung inside the taxi, he quickly turned to leave.

Chaeyoung called after Jungkook, “Thank you!”

But he left without saying anything. He did not even look back at her.

While Chaeyoung dejectedly rode the taxi with Taehyung. She dropped him in front of his house after calling his mother a few minutes earlier for her to expect an unconscious Taehyung.

Chaeyoung greeted Taehyung’s mother politely before handing him over to her. Then she quickly rode back to the taxi and took off.

On the way to her house, Chaeyoung was thinking about her encounter with Jungkook at the bar. She wanted to call him. So she dialed his number a few times. But then, she ended every call attempt before the call even connected.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is quite short. I'll do better for the next one. 😅