Chapter 9

I didn't think it was possible that I could find Heaven and Hell in one place but here I was in my own personal nightmare that was truly delightful. Complicated should be my middle name.

Alaric discussed the options with the head of security and between the two of them, they decided that Henley would be under house arrest in the guest house which was attached to the royal estate but not the building itself. It was nothing more than another house they'd bought, this time on the other side of the house where my cousin Nisha lived with her family.

The fencing hadn't been torn down yet which both men agreed was a blessing in disguise at the moment. Not that it mattered, guards were being assigned to ensure that Henley didn't try anything. He wouldn't do that anyway; I don't know why they were worried.

It was like Henley was a man of words, not of actions.

"You know, I think you're like a lot of politicians."

"Is that so?"

"Yep. You're full of hot air."

He stopped at the doorway to the bathroom and stared at me. With a sigh, Henley shook his head.

"How come the wall's back up Claudia?"

"It never came down."

"Yeah it did."

Henley stalked closer, tossing the loaner clothes on the bed. I backed away and hit the wall. My fear was not for him hurting me, at least not in the physical sense. Emotionally, well, anything was possible.

"I saw it when you pulled the plate out. You looked at me as if you were exposing more than just your species. It felt like you'd opened up yourself to me, waiting for me to explore your thoughts and feelings."

"I heard your speech."

"I was wrong," He whispered against my lips. "I wouldn't be here if I hated vampires, would I?"

"Yeah you would. You've just gotten a free ticket into the royal estate."

"You want me to walk out of here? Minute the sun is down, call the guards and have them escort me to the other side of the fence. Want it done sooner? Ensure I'm safe and it's done. I'm not here for him, I'm here for you."

Was I convinced? No. I was skeptical about everyone so it was natural for me to be negative towards Henley. It didn't sit well with me either. I could feel more than I should, I wanted more than I could have.

"A person can be wrong Claudia and a person can change. I want freedom for humanity but I understand that there are reasons for what has happened. A little information for the masses would do wonders, maybe then you won't have such an issue."

When his lips pressed against mine, I was certain that he could feel my anxiety. I'd been brave earlier, now I was the frightened little mouse that was ready to back away and cower. The only problem was, I was pinned to the wall.

The kiss deepened and I could feel that this was progressing in a way that was more than just physical. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I opened myself up to him and let go of the fear. Being here with Henley, it was an incredible feeling and I wanted more from him. More than just a scandalous moment in a public restroom, more than just a desperate kiss against the wall.

But there was an issue and it was his humanity. My parents would not be impressed but they'd accept it if I stated that I was in a relationship with a human. The biggest issue was that he'd have to convert and I don't know if Henley was willing to do that.

Henley must have felt the resistance, ending the kiss as he looked at me. I wanted more but it was killing me to think that this would end if he refused to alter his species.

"What's wrong?"

"You need to convert."

He stared at me for a few seconds then let out another heavy sigh.

"I want you to convert Henley," He said softly. "Pull down that wall Claudia. Otherwise, this won't work."

Stepping back, Henley picked up his clothes and walked into the bathroom. When the door closed, I leaned my head back against the wall and stared at the ceiling. I could ask the universe why it thought that it was necessary for my life to turn this way but there was little point when I would not get an answer.

Hearing Henley doing things in the bathroom didn't stop me from walking to the door. I didn't want to just stand around waiting for him to emerge. I was impatient and needed to deal with it now rather than spending the next few minutes overthinking things and making it worse in my mind.

"Do you understand why I said it?"

The door swung open, Henley was down to his jeans and it was an ogle worthy view. He wasn't bulging with muscles but he was nicely defined. Enough to show the soft curve of the flesh. I tried not to stare but it was a waste of time.

"Yeah," Henley said, leaning one arm on the door frame. "You're a princess and you're used to getting your own way."

"Hardly." I scoffed.

"Alright. You're not allowed to be with a human."

"It would be frowned upon at first but my family would accept it. We can't procreate which is something that is necessary for the person that I pick as my partner."

"So, you're saying that you don't want to waste time with a human unless he's willing to take the transfusion path?"

"No. Well, maybe."

Henley's eyebrows raised as he stepped back, closing the door.

"Come on, I didn't mean it like that."

The door did not open.

"I just,"

Hesitation filled me as I leaned forward, pressing my forehead to the door.

"I can't do this," I whispered.

"Can't do what?"

"Emotions. This. Everything."

"Sure you can. All you need to do is say, Henley, I want to be with you forever and ever. Henley, I don't want you to die. Henley, I need you."

They were there at the tip of my tongue yet I could not get them out.