Chapter 16: A Gathering Storm

Lavellan

Solas and I made our way back to the main building, and Isseya followed us. I wolfed down my food and gave the rest to the cheeky griffon.

"I need to get back to Leliana and the others," I told my brethren.

"I need to go back to Tevinter to help Dorian," Feynriel said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I'm going with you," Eloise said next to him.

"I have to get back to Orlais," Royce added. "I can help my family now."

"I can follow you," Da'nas told me. Ves nodded in agreement.

"I-I think I'm g-g-going home to help the alienage." Georgie looked proud of this. "B-but if you need me, j-j-just ask."

"Well," I paused. "Let's get to it then."

I informed Laran of all our travel plans before returning to my room to pack and hopefully get my arm back.

I opened the door and saw someone had laid it out neatly on the bed. I walked over and traced the runes with my finger tip.

"A unique and fascinating piece there," Solas said from behind me.

"Dagna is a unique and fascinating person. It would make sense her crafts would echo that." There was a pause. "Have you decided what to do? The gates are open, and your brethren are gone just as you desired. You can continue to carry out your plan if you wish."

"You aren't going to stop me?" The shock in his voice was obvious.

"No."

"Why not?"

I mulled over his question. I had been removed from play. My purpose had been served, which was to assist in opening the Black City it seemed. It seemed that the world wanted this to happen. Since no one truly died on the sense they knew, would it matter? I had essentially been given a break from the never ending loop until I wanted to jump back in.

"I have... Been removed from play for now."

"What is that supposed to mean."

"Do you know what the cost of ultimate wisdom is? Your indifference. You become indifferent to the situation around you. The system will find a way to balance itself. If you try to cause chaos when the world doesn't want it," I looked at him right in the eyes. "The world will stop you."

"How can  it? I am considered a god."

I smirked. "So was Corypheus. Now, all that's left of him in this world is dust and his unaccomplished goal. Soon, the world will forget him. That is the future you face."

"How do you know he's dead? You survived."

I smiled sadly. "No, I didn't." I turned to start packing. Someone had laid out an empty pack for me. "If he had come back, we'd know already."

"You must be joking. If you were dead, you wouldn't be here."

"I did die, Solas. I was just... able to come back. That's one of the perks of being related to Strix. He helped me get back, but I'm like him now until I decide not to be."

"You've risen." Surprise colored his voice.

"Yup, and now I get to enjoy retirement and watch someone else save the world." I had finished packing and threw it over my shoulder. "I'm assuming you'll be foolish and try to take over instead of joining me. Do what you want, Solas. I could really care less." 

It was true. I couldn't control him. I mean, I could turn him into a living puppet, but that was wrong. Morals are such inconvenient things. The point is that he's going to do what he wants. I'm not longer in a position to stop him. I left him standing in the empty room.