Chapter Five: Ouch, Ew, and WTF

I wake up disoriented and shivery. Itir is beside me, sitting up and blinking in confusion. It's the wee hours of the morning, as far as I can tell, and I hear a high-pitched scream. I haul myself to my feet, swaying and blinking black spots from my eyes.

The fire still smolders in its ring, blurry and orange. I look around the small clearing and see black and gray shapes moving, lunging. Kahina is trying to bat one away with her small, flat sword, standing in front of the Countess. The screaming I heard must have been Reina's. I cast my gaze around for Lennan, heart pounding in its cage. They're at the edge of the clearing, trying to limp away from another canine that seems particularly vicious.

I see two knives stuck in the beast's fur, glistening with sap-colored blood with no effect. As my vision adjusts, I can see the wolves have glowing white-green teeth and claws. I help Itir up and go for my bag. I know nothing of what Lennan has packed, but there might be something in there...

Too late, I hear the hunting call. It is not of a man, nor of any creature I've ever had the misfortune to hear. It paralyzes everything: Itir and I freeze instantly. The leaves stop falling gently to the ground. Even the wind ceases to blow. Everything but the wolves stops. They seem to be called away towards the sound.

The one facing Kahina turns and runs out of the clearing, baying its response. Too late again, always too late, I turn back towards Lennan. Their adversary hasn't given up, determined to bring a taste of blood for its master. It lunges and Lennan's spell fails. The wolf catches them on the face, ripping a gash on their jawline.

Itir charges forward from behind me and stabs the creature with Kahina's discarded sword. It whimpers and runs off before he can finish it. Its blood drips along the ground, white and opaque. I rush to Lennan, who lays motionless but groaning.

I drop to my knees and pull the rag from their breast pocket. No matter where we are, that stained, burned, torn piece of cloth has come with, and I thank every deity I can name that tonight is no exception. Lennan is already grumbling and trying to push away Kahina's fluttering hands, and my breath comes easier for a moment.

"'M fine, 'm okay, t'aint nothing to worry over, 's just a wee scratch- WOUNDS OF GOD YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCK-" Kahina pins their hands while Itir pours something from a brown glass bottle onto the cut. The liquid is strong and fumy, and my eyes begin to water. He pulls the rag from my hands and soaks it from Reina's water pouch. Itir works quickly while Lennan bites off some rather creative swears. After the blood is wiped away, I can see the expanse of the gash. It stretches from their jawbone up almost to their ear. A delicate curl of blonde hair, soaked with blood, just touches the furthest tip. It branches like a lightning streak where the wolf's fang caught. My stomach rolls when I realize that it ripped through their face and their teeth show through at the deepest point.

Reina sees the same thing I do, turns green, and stumbles off into the woods. I don't blame her in the slightest. In fact, I might join her.

Itir keeps going, unfazed. In no time at all, a sort of bandage is rigged over the right side of their face. I lift them up, ignoring their protests at being coddled, and set them on their feet. They sway unsteadily but not much more than usual.

They glower at me with blurry grey eyes but turn to Itir instead.

"Thank you, m'eudail." Their words are fuzzy, soft around the edges. They walk past us and pick up our bags, hoisting all three atop their shoulders.

"Let's go. I know a tavern not too far from here. If we hurry, we can make it before Okernmon catches up again." Kahina follows, practically skipping now that our lives aren't in danger. Itir shrugs and goes too, casting a suspicious look at the drops of blood on the ground. As I pass, I see why. Already the puddles are growing closer together.