Cinderella...? | F.I. x Reader | AU | (2/2)

Depuis le début

"Do I know it?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Maybe." I shrug. "Probably you've heard about it. Some people say it's a myth, but the story and place do exist." I say, eyeing a blue butterfly that flies by us for a few seconds. Frank simply hums in response and I hold back a chuckle when he clutched on my hand tighter. He holds it with both his hands when tripping over a root, thankfully not losing his balance. "You okay?" I ask and he nods. I show him a smile, squeezing his hand a bit as muttering a 'we are here'.

"What's it here?" He asks when we sit down on a rock by the lake.

"So," I start, making - or at least trying to - myself comfortable on my place. "don't freak out, please."

"Why...?" Frank mutters, eyeing me worriedly, shifting a bit.

"Do you see those ruins there?" I point to the rests of what once was an impeccable structure and a cave like thing beside it, the last one submerged by the lake for about a foot. He nods and I continue, "So, it was a mine. It goes about 754 feet underground. The water was held back in the time, so the miners could work inside there. However, sometimes, landslips occurred and one of them occurred while eleven people were inside there."

"Oh." Frank mutters, a puzzled and slightly surprised look on his face.

"Yeah, but that's not the worst part." I continue, raising my eyebrows lightly. "They didn't know how to get the miners out of there, so, instead of letting them agonizing until death, they flooded the mine and killed them all at once."

Frank gasps, hugging his knees and looking from me to the mine a few times. "They couldn't save them?" He is noticeably more agitated, so I move closer, placing my arms around him as shaking my head.

"I don't think we'd still be able to do it, nowadays." I shrug, "The kingdom decided to not talk about the event anymore, abandon the place and that's it." I rub his side for a moment as he leans against me.

"And you feel okay coming here alone?" He raises his eyebrows at me and I chuckle, shrugging.

"I just don't care. Not like a bodiless soul can do anything to me." I say carelessly. He eyes me for a moment, more impressed than scared.

"I know, but..." He's silent for a few seconds. "Ugh." He shudders. That makes me let out a chuckle again and hug him tighter, kissing his cheek.

"It's a bit thrilling, I may admit." I say resting my chin on his shoulder. - Sometimes it feels like I'm not really alone here. Maybe it's some lost soul, but again, not like it can do something to me. "Yet, it's still a beautiful place."

"Well, I can't deny that. The water is like, that color you can't define if it is blue or green." He motions towards the lake and I hum.

"Yeah, it has that thing... what's the name..." I mutter closing my eyes for a few seconds, trying to remember what the alchemist had said. "I don't remember, but it's a thing, like a bacterium, that turns the water this color."

"Oh."

"But it's also toxic and may kill you."

"Oh." He widens his eyes lightly, "Hell, can we talk about something more normal?" Frank shifts uncomfortably and glances me nervously.

"Sorry, sorry." I chuckle, adjusting my position. He seems to use that as an opportunity and hugs me back, sighing when resting his head on my shoulder.

"Y'know," He speaks up after some moments and I hum in response, "I never imagined myself in this situation."

"What situation?" I turn my gaze to him.

"Chillin' and soon to be king." He answers and I quietly laugh. "Really!" Frank exclaims, "Like, I never thought it'd happen when the two were bugging me to go to the ball. Then, when you and I walked back inside the castle and I noticed you were you, I was like, oh fuck, how did I not notice? Can't fuck up now." He says the last part in a rushed and nervous tone, to demonstrate his thoughts better, before looking at me with widened eyes and raised eyebrows, as if asking me 'can you believe it?' just by that. "Then you asked me to, like, date you. Someone like me? I couldn't believe. Thank God I accepted it." His look is kinda relieved now.

"Wow." I laugh, finding the story funny. "I may admit, it must be a big change and all, but were you really surprised I chose you?"

"I'm no big deal, of course I was surprised."

"C'mon, you're a decent man." I tap his shoulder, shooting him a playful proud glare. "I'm happy I met you." I smile nuzzling the side of his face; he shrinks a bit.

"Same." Frank mutters. "You're not a snobby and ugly noble like I thought." I gasp dramatically, glaring at him. He tenses up, "I mean, look at all the other nobles! They're all deformed and always acting like if they were superior. Like," He twists his mouth and raises an eyebrow, a smug yet engrossed look on, "kiss my feet." Him mocking a noble, even speaking in a nasal tone, makes me laugh again, letting my head fall back for a moment.

"I don't judge you, it's really like that. Wait until you meet some of them better," I say remembering about all the meetings I had, ones I couldn't run away from. "you'll see they're even grosser closer."

"Ew." Frank says, contorting his face as I nod.

"Thank God I'm a miracle." I grin. "Not one of the most beautiful people, but really better than them in appearance and personality."

"You're really beautiful." He pouts, furrowing his eyebrows at me.

"Keep telling yourself that, sweetie." I say and he rolls his eyes. "At least judging them is nice and how they always decide to meet in dinners, there's food and the food isn't ever bad." I tell him, knowing he'll like that part as much as I do.

"Really?" He asks and I nod, making his widen his eyes and rub his hands together in anxiety after the confirmation. "Can't wait for that."

"Same." I chuckle. "Now I won't be boringly alone during the dinners." This makes me happy, knowing now I'll have a companion.

"Won't they judge me?" He asks carefully, "Like, I don't have the blue blood."

"Who cares?" I shrug. "Let them judge, not like their titles are higher then ours to change anything. We've got nothing to fear, dear." I wink and lean in for a quick kiss.

"I guess that's it then." Frank shrugs, tilting his head. "I'm liking this new life. Mainly because of you."

I blush, chuckling more out of nervousness. "You'll see, spending money is also funny. You wanna that useless old vase that costs more than a peasant gains per year? You can buy that." I throw my hands in the air. He laughs. "Okay, that sounded horrible, but it's true." I pause, starting to speak again, in a serious tone. "Still, it's not just about that. Administrating the kingdom takes a lot of responsibility and seriousness, but it's also an important job. Not mentioning that seeing people happy with the improvements you do in their lives is really gratifying. Being a noble isn't just living in a castle and being extremely rich."

"I..." He trails off, "I'm a bit nervous about that part, y'know. I'm not sure if I'm capable of controlling everything..." He presses his lips together, worry evident on his voice.

"You'll do well." I say taking his hand in mine and intertwining our fingers. "I'll be there."

"I love you." Frank's response takes me aback slightly, considering he'd never declared it before, even tho it's been a good time we've been together, and I wasn't waiting for it. I slowly relax and smile, tightening my grip around his hand.

"I love you too."

__________