Chapter 10: I, Callum Cain, Reject...

Start from the beginning

She tossed them in the bin as June inspected my throbbing wrists which were red and the skin was all bruised and blistered.

"Do you have any burn cream or should I call your mom?" June asked.

"No time, we have to look for Callum. It's not safe out there." I said as I started to head for the door and the pair followed me. My head was still a bit dizzy and I felt wobbly but I had to get to him.

"What happened Everette?" Penelope questioned.

"He injected me with some kind of drug that knocked me out, tied me to my office chair and handcuffed me with his damn silver cuffs," I growled in anger.

"Didn't you pat him down after he had his gun?" She asked.

"I did but his pockets were empty. The damn fool had it strapped to his leg, he must've been walking around with it all this time."

"Well, it wasn't that long of a trek he had to make." Pen pointed out and she was right.

I carried him most of the way and we only walked a little bit after that. Even when he came to the packhouse, he could've left his supplies in his jacket back in the guest room before we went to meet my parents.

"I should have looked harder. I should've had him do a strip search." I regretted.

I felt June's hand on my shoulder in a comforting gesture, "It isn't your fault Ev, you couldn't have known his plan."

That was June for you. Always being the comforting mother in our group of friends.

"I'll get some of our best sniffers out here." Pen said as we stepped outside and headed through the backyard and to the forest.

"Only a few, I have his scent already," I told her as the scent of juniper berries was fading into the wind before me.

I turned to her, "I'm leaving, just follow my scent when help gets here."

Pen grabbed my elbow, "Oh no you don't missy, they'll be here in a minute."

I wanted to argue with her but going out there alone would be a suicide mission.

Within a minute, around eight of our pack members including, Finn, Max, Sam, and his mate Daisy.

Charlotte had pack duties at six with training so I knew she was staying back since I had Pen by my side.

Everyone looked like they just rolled out of bed but we had a job to get done.

I could see Finn sporting a furious expression but he remained quiet as we all shifted and sprinted toward the forest that led back to Fairbairn and where Callum's scent led.

As I ran, I felt my wolf wobble along the way as if I was a bit drunk.

'Ev, are you okay?' Penelope asked.

I shook my dizzy head to get some clarity but I responded with, 'Yeah, I think it's just the lasting effects of the drug.'

'But are you okay to continue?'

'I need to.' Was my only words as I sped up and kept my nose close to the ground.

Three hours in human speed wasn't much but he has some wolf in him. He's pretty fast so I can only hope that he didn't get too far.

'Alpha,' Finn ran up to my side.

'What's up with the formalities?' I pointed out his weirdness.

'That's what you are to me Ev, I will respect you.' Came his reply.

'Not that you haven't called me Alpha before, but you used to just call me Ev.'