Chapter 2: Dudes In Dresses

Start from the beginning

I ignored her as I watched my flesh and skin grow back as if I hadn't just been in a crazy fight with psycho rogues.

As my mother healed me up, I saw my father's eyebrows knitted together in confusion and I knew the interrogation and lecture were a second away.

"Everette." My dad began.

"Dad." I smiled sweetly at him.

He sighed before running his hand over my forehead and brushing off some dirt, "You scared us you know."

"I know," I rolled my eyes but in both his and my mom's distressed expressions. I usually act unconcerned when anyone worried about me.

I just didn't want to be a burden on their emotions.

My mother placed one of her hands on my cheek, "You could have died Ev."

I looked away from her sorrowful gaze, "If it meant keeping everyone alive then I don't see what the big deal is. Plus it was only a few rogues, a daily occurrence."

I heard the door to the infirmary slam shut and I knew Finn left in anger.

"There's a difference between keeping the pack safe by being a good alpha and trying to get yourself killed." My father lectured.

"I-"

"No Everette, if you're hurt then you let someone else handle the threat. You'll just put yourself and others in danger any other way." Dad said.

"You would have done the same thing, dad."

"I know but we all learn and you can use my mistakes to your advantage. Trust me on this one. You don't need to fight all the rogues yourself for us to know what a great warrior you are." He smiled gently.

"You're right... but I don't think I'll ever not protect someone. So it's going to take some time for me to actually allow someone to protect me." I chuckled.

"As long as you try Ev." My mother smiled.

"Now why don't you tell us what happened?" My dad asked expectantly.

I sat up in bed as I stretched my sore arms.

"I honestly have no idea, these rogues showed up out of nowhere. But the one that really got me had silver berry on his canines."

I watched as my mother looked at my father with shock on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked them with a sudden panic filling me.

"It's just that silver berry is very rare." My dad mumbled.

"We've only ever encountered it once back when your aunt Tate met uncle Aiden. Your father was attacked by a rogue with silver berry." My mom explained.

"Well, then there must be a plant growing somewhere close by since the other packs haven't reported any cases of silver berry yet." I shrugged as I climbed out of the bed.

"The good thing is that it's rare and isn't poisonous." My dad sighed.

I simply nodded as I walked towards the door and mind linked Penelope.

'Pen? Where are you?' I asked through the mind link.

'Down in the Crypt. We got a rogue detained,' Her reply came instantaneously.

'Be there in five,' I responded before closing the link.

"Where are you going?" My mom questioned as she and my father both followed me out the door.

"To figure out where the silver berry plant is and why the hell rogues are growing more confident in crossing into my pack," I grumbled as I stalked out the front door and headed towards the Crypt.