XII

Seriously guys, SOTP. WE'RE OVER 8K AND I DON'T WANNA KEEP WRITING THESE AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY CHAPTER. Thank you all so much for the support you've given this book. Also, I'm going to be adding a painting for each chapter that reminds me of a part of it.

This chapter's about as long as the Darryl flashback chapter, hang on tight.

Darryl's POV

Darryl stood still on the sidewalk, dumbstruck. Zak, the person he was terrified of, but loved spending time with, kissed his cheek. What was he supposed to think about that? Zak had hated him only a few hours ago, he never expected anything like that would happen for a long time. There was no way Darryl could have expected that.

He stared straight ahead for a while, stuck in his thoughts. He couldn't believe what happened.

An owl hooting nearby startled him out of his thoughts. He needed to get home, it was almost midnight.

He pulled up his maps app on his phone, looking up how far his house was from where he currently stood. He realized it was about half an hour, not as long as he thought it would be. Darryl decided to just call an Uber instead of walking back to the subway and having to hop onto different lines to get home.

As he waited for the Uber, he sat on a bench near the sidewalk. A street lamp illuminated the bench while everything around him was dark. It looked line a scene from a movie.

While he waited, he decided to scroll through his phone to see if he could find what Zak did to it.

After a few minutes of searching, a car pulled up and the window rolled down.

"Are you Darryl?" A middle aged woman in the driver's seat called out, looking at him. He nodded, locking his phone and standing up. He walked over to the car and opened the back door, climbing in silently. Once he was buckled, she confirmed his address and they were off.

"Thank you, I know it;s late and you probably would prefer to be in bed." He spoke quietly, looking out the window. She looked back at him from the rear view mirror.

"No worries, hun. It's my job." She smiled before putting her eyes back on the empty road in front of them. After that, it was silent.

Darryl pulled out his phone again and kept scrolling and clicking, trying to find whatever Zak hid for him.

Suddenly, he had a thought. He clicked on the contacts app and scrolled down, looking at the Z's. He frowned, there was no Zak.

He scrolled back up, thinking he must have missed something. He reached the C's and stopped, a name caught his eye. It hadn't been there before.

"Cutie♡"

Smiling, Darryl clicked on the name. The photo popped up at the top, the same photo that was now his lock screen. He laughed quietly, thinking about how silly Zak was.

He noticed Zak had put his number in, so he clicked on the message option. Darryl sat for a moment with a black text screen, not sure what to say.

Since he couldn't think of anything clever, he just went with something simple.

Darryl 11:27pm:
I found it, Cutie.

He chuckled, hoping Zak would enjoy the message. Not even a few moments later, he phone vibrated and a text popped up.

Cutie11:27pm:
Took you long enough

Darryl 11:28pm:
Why the nickname?