Chapter 9: Fear and Love

Leon

Aiden sleeps next to me comfortably, with Ashia between his arms, both of which I cover with my arm. I think Aiden is afraid to leave the house, he has been here for two weeks and hasn't left. He asked me to take Ashia out to see the town. Of course I did and my sister Rose tagged along. She really likes Ashia and lets her call her Auntie.

Ashia is a cute little girl, she refers to me as Dad and seems to have taken to me well. Since she is Aiden's, she is my daughter but that isn't the only reason. She is sweet and basically is my own child.

Mr. Vanos has thankfully gotten better and has taken many trip out to visit Ashia. They both are very cute together and Ashia has taken after his artistic side. I walked in on them painting in my living room the other day. I didn't know Mr. Vanos was there, nor where they got the paint.

Ashia squeezes my finger with her little hand. I will protect this, both Aiden and Ashia. Aiden inhales deeply and rolls back into my chest. I nuzzle him, greeting him.

" Morning, " He whispers.

" Good morning, " I whisper back.

He smiles sleepily, reaching back and caressing my face. I kiss his hand then look at Ashia.

" Sleepily little bug," I whisper.

Aiden smiles, " She likes sleeping in when she has no school."

" You wake her and I'll go start breakfast, " I whisper, kissing the side of his head.

He smiles happily as I get up, slipping my hand from Ashia's. I pet her head then leave to the kitchen. The sun is barely up yet this is our routine. Since Ashia goes to bed early, we all do and wake up at five in the morning.

I hum, mixing up some waffle mix. It's become rather hard to get food locally due to the rogues which my cousin invited in. They are aggressive and steal and kill. They don't work but instead take. They are the wolves who were kicked out of their pack for a crime yet he invited them to maintain his own power.

The waffle mix sizzles in the waffle maker as I mix some eggs I retrieved from my chicken coop outside. That's another Ashia likes. She enjoys gathering eggs with me in the afternoon and really likes one of my friendly hens. She seems to like animals a lot and music.

Little footsteps pitter patter into the kitchen. Small arms hug my leg as I fish up a waffle and refill the waffle maker. I set the make waffle on a small plate and serve a portion of eggs on it then squat down and hand it to Ashia.

" Thank you!" Ashia chirps, taking the plate. She carefully walks to the table, sets down her plate then returns to get a fork and syrup.

Aiden drapes his arm around my waist and rests his head on my shoulder. He has a serious case of bedhead. I kiss his head then return to the waffles.

---------

Rogues roam about the streets as Ashia and I walk hand in hand through the market. Aiden dressed I'm jean overalls and a white flower long sleeve. Her hair is up in a neat bun with a pinned flower in it. Aiden always outdoes himself when it comes to Ashia.

A rogue walks close to us earn a throat growl from myself. It backs off and returns to other business. Ashia looks around, a little worried. I bend down and scoop her up in my arms and continue walking.

" Are you ready to see Grandpa and Papa? " I ask, walking carefully.

She nods, " Grandpa promised to teach me how to play basketball and Papa said he'd join!"